Students have formed a new society at the Medway campus which will provide a range of social and academic events for students interested in computing.
David Laban, a 2nd year student studying Information Technology at Kent, is the president of the newly formed Medway Computing Society (MCS) at the Medway Campus.
David said: ‘We feel that there is no real community for computing students at Medway and want to change that. MCS will aim to bring everyone together who has a common interest in the subject and provide a range of social and academic activities for its members.’
Events have planned so far:
- Gaming and movie nights
- Bowling with lecturers
- Trips to London to the Science Museum & the Excel Centre
- Participation in viral activities/events
Academic events planned so far:
- Medway Hackathon (24 hour challenge event to produce and present a program/system with prizes at the end).. There will be pizza!
- Guest speakers from varying areas of the field
- Help and mentorship with acdemic problems members might be facing (e.g. coding questions, UML, Essays etc..)
- L.A.B.A.T (Learn a bit about technology events). Members can bring in cool pieces of technology and show others its features.
Membership is £3 and this gives students access to these events.
Students can sign up online by following this link:http://www.gkunions.co.uk/organisation/6684/
There is also a Facebook page where events will be posted: https://www.facebook.com/KentComputingClub