Sam Barker

MBA student Sam Barker

MBA 2022, UK

“Don’t die wondering!”

Graduated from Bournemouth University with a degree in Sports Management in 2007. Immediately after graduating, I started my career at Golfbreaks where I still am today. I have always worked in Sales, starting as a Sales Consultant through to my current role as the Sales Director.

Outside of work, I am a keen sportsperson and will try and get out either on my bike or onto the golf course as much as possible. Staying fit and healthy is very important to me and if I am not playing sport I will watch it on TV!

Achievements

• Becoming the Sales Director in 2017 after working my way up from being an intern at university 10 years prior to this
  • Being the sales lead as we embarked on a successful full implementation of the Salesforce platform in the business – this culminated in being asked to present at the Salesforce World Tour at Excel
  • Navigating the business through Covid with travel restrictions meaning for months on end no travel was permitted – we retained our staff and customers and are now seeing the full benefits of all the hard work

What attracted you to the MBA programme at Kent Business School and why?

The reputation and accreditation of the course gave me an instant attraction to the course. After further research, the 1-week intensive teaching model was something I thought would suit my way of learning. I want to learn and develop new skills whilst still staying in my current role. I love the role and business but wanted to gain more external experience.

Aspiration

To have the skills to continue my career and be a senior leader within business.

Advice

Don’t underestimate the power of hard work and be open-minded. Learn from others and put yourself outside of your comfort zone.