Mai Washida

MBA 2021, Japan

“Reach out to the moon, even if we can’t.” Joe Strummer 

As an assistant manager, I have been involved in many projects by acting as a bridge between travel agencies and industries, delivering what is needed to the customer. The political philosophy I learnt at my previous university taught me the importance of always keeping a harmonious spirit and a moderate point of view.

In the long term, I want to turn the family business in building management, security and cleaning industry into a 100-year company.

Outside of work my hobbies are winter mountaineering, playing the cello, watching classic movies.

Achievements

• Experience as an organiser of a festival with over 1,000 years of history
  • Bringing diversity to the small Japanese building maintenance industry, a closed industry
  • Reduced turnover in the workplace

What attracted you to the Kent MBA programme and why?

It’s an environment of high reputation and diversity, and the opportunity to learn about business in the quiet, historic city of Canterbury.

Aspiration

Kent MBA will develop my business skills. In my country, there is a high turnover rate in the building management and security industries, and very few talented people enter these sectors. I want to bring a brighter and cleaner impression to the industry itself. I want to make my family business industry one that people working in it can be proud of.

Advice

Business doesn’t make people alive, people make business alive.