James Peters

MBA 2021, UK

“I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” Michael Jordan

My most recent role pre-covid was as a self-employed business consultant, working on projects evaluation and providing advice to Middle Eastern investors planning investments into Africa.

With more than 25 years management experience, I started my career as a concession manager in retailing, followed by operations management in Logistics in the US and UK. Later changing course to pursue a career’s ambition in working in the private sector in West Africa, with the aim to share my experiences, including developing young talents in operational and business practices.

This move led to the setting up of businesses operating in Mining, Telecoms, and Logistics sectors in the region.

My interest include technology and its ability to transform and impact individuals, economies, society including disrupting businesses.

Outside of work my hobbies include playing golf, running and travelling.

Achievements

• Rescued and turn-around of a mismanaged and failing Internet Service Provider (ISP) in West Africa, saving 80% of its workforce and its investors investment
  • Successfully managed diversified customer facing teams in both the UK and US within the same institution at various levels
  • Overcoming the difficulties in setting up businesses and working in West Africa

What attracted you to the Kent MBA programme and why?

The programme’s 1-year full-time tenure including the non-dissertation element were my instant attraction. Coupled with the CMI level 7 certificate, its internationally focused theme and accreditations sets the Kent MBA apart from others.

What were your motivations for undertaking an MBA?

Having worked and interacted at various management levels, my qualifications do not match my experiences particularly at senior and or executive levels. Thus, earning an MBA at this stage in my career would not only enhance my employment and business profile, it would also equip me with the latest in academic teachings, management, and business practices.

Aspiration

Should I choose to return into full-time employment, a senior role in business development or strategic development with departmental leadership responsibilities. By continuing in my career path, the Kent MBA will be a private confidence booster.

Advice

Recognise your mistakes and have a plan for their variation when they come around the next time.