Stuart McDonald

MBA 2020, UK

“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein.

I am the Director for UK Government and Policing at VIQTOR DAVIS. We provide data management solutions, enabling our customers to turn their data into the information they need.

My career started as an infrastructure engineer configuring servers and network switches. I then took on a graduate scheme and got involved in software development, testing and support.

I then landed a role for a software vendor in their professional service team.  This is where I developed my knowledge around data management, developing and implementing MDM solutions for customers predominately in the public sector. Most recently I have been growing and developing my team in delivering data solutions across Government.

Outside of work I enjoy spending time with my family and try to keep fit by playing hockey for my local club and have recently got into cycling.

Achievements

Lead and delivered an awarding winning data management system for Camden Council, winning the award for best use of data in Public Sector. The project was delivered within a record time of three months.

Turning a failing solution around – one of my best achievements to date has to be working within a Central Government Department to turn around a failing solution that had lost customer confidence. It wasn’t easy and very tough but also very rewarding, I’m pleased to say the system is still running today and delivering benefit to everyone.

Working for an SME, I lead our team to win a direct contract with a Central Government Department.

What attracted you to the Kent MBA programme and why?

The opportunity to study part-time and the link in with the Senior Leaders Master’s Degree Apprenticeship

What were your motivations for undertaking an MBA?

To discover and learn areas of business that I don’t fully understand or appreciate, such as strategy setting, financial planning, marketing and sales.

Aspiration

I want to be a leader in my field of data and technology, with a sound understanding of how a business needs to operate to be successful.  I’d also like to be able to support and develop those around me.

Advice

From a technology point of view, focus and keep things simple in everything that you do. If it sounds or looks over complicated, it probably is and will cause issues along the way.