Michael Desmet

MBA 2020, UK

“Before you a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others,” Jack Welch

I lead a large Customer Services operation at Agilisys in partnership with Kent County Council. I have a passion for developing people and I continually look out for smarter ways of working to save both time and cost. I am a member of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee leading on the Disability forum.

Family first is my motto both inside and outside of work. In my spare time, you will find my son and I at a fishing lake looking for our next big catch of Carp or Catfish!

Achievements

• Managed multisite operational teams both onshore & offshore(South Africa)
  • Reduced attrition by 15% through engagement activities and operational improvements
  • Restructured operational teams to save significant costs to ensure a lean operating model is achieved and maintained

What attracted you to the Kent MBA programme and why?

The Kent Business School reviews looked very positive and I was keen on the local links.

What were your motivations for undertaking an MBA?

I have held various senior positions in my career so far, and am looking to progress further. I feel an MBA is recognisable accreditation and demonstrates the commitment to personal development. When looking for a senior role in the future I feel the MBA will make me stand out from the crowd.

Aspiration

I want to develop my managerial career with aspirations for a directorship position to be held in the future.

Advice

It is all about people! Both your people and the customers you service. An engaged and motivated workforce takes time to develop but once achieved anything is achievable.