Chris Vinson

MBA 2020, UK

“No one on his deathbed ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office.” Paul Tsongas, US Congressman and Senator.

I currently lead the team responsible for external communications and reputation at Southeastern Railway – one of Britain’s largest and busiest train operating companies. My team covers media relations, PR, stakeholder engagement, project communications and campaigns.

I started my career as an operations manager at a major water utility company and then moved into policy and communications within the same sector, before moving the energy industry to work in government relations and public affairs. In 2017 I moved to my current role at Southeastern. My professional interests are in communications, reputation, policy and environment.

Outside of my work I am an elected District Councillor, and Cabinet member with responsibility for Finance, Governance and Digital. I am a keen amateur golfer and former rugby player.

Achievements

In January 2020 I successfully achieved the position of Chartered PR Practitioner with the Chartered Institute of Public Relations – building on my MCIPR and Accredited Practitioner status after several years of focussed continuing professional development activity.

In 2019, I worked with Southeastern colleagues and the charity Women’s Aid to successfully pilot and introduce a ‘Rail to refuge’ scheme which provides free rail transport to women and their families fleeing abusive relationships. I then worked with the industry trade body Rail Delivery Group to roll this scheme out across England and Wales in Spring 2020.

In 2015 I was invited by an Australian water utility to visit them for two weeks to share my experience of stakeholder and customer engagement in regulated price reviews – which involved extensive collaboration with utilities and regulators across the state of Victoria, and delivering a keynote presentation at a major annual conference in Melbourne.

What attracted you to the Kent MBA programme and why?

I wanted to find an MBA programme with a greater focus on communications, marketing, reputation and sustainability – to better suit my role and professional expertise – and the Kent MBA has that content.

What were your motivations for undertaking an MBA?

An MBA is something I have always thought would be a valuable learning experience for me as a communications professional, if I am to make the step up to roles at Executive and Board level in my future career.

Previously it would have been difficult to justify the cost of an MBA – both in terms of tuition fees and the potential lost income from studying full-time for a year. The Higher Degree Apprenticeship route solves both of these issues and means that I am able to fit my studies around my full-time role, with the full support of my employer, and direct funding from the Government’s Apprentice Levy.

Aspiration

I hope to continue my career with Southeastern, and potentially move into a more senior leadership position in the coming years.

I also believe the Kent MBA will be of great value to me in my role as Portfolio Holder for Finance, Governance and Digital at Dover District Council – particularly in the economic environment following the COVID-19 pandemic.

Advice

All feedback is hugely valuable – whoever it comes from. Seek it out, reflect on it, and consider it in your personal development planning.