Nicholas Phillips

MBA 2021, UK

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second-best time is now.”

My work has centered around providing energy saving technology for large UK energy users. I have recently joined E.ON Controls Solutions as a Sales Manager, helping their commercial customers to improve the energy efficiency of their buildings. Before joining E.ON  I worked for 12 years with an innovative energy saving device manufacturer, where my last role was building a distribution network across Europe to help sell and market the products.

I am currently interested to see how data and the IoT (Internet of things) can help to elevate the role of energy efficiency in the fight against climate change. 90% of the world’s data was generated in the last two years so making the most of this data will be both a challenge and an opportunity.

Achievements

• Becoming Sustainability Ambassador for Kent Business School
  • Receiving the Energy Mastering Awards 2019 – Athens –Energy Efficiency in Retail and Supermarkets. Voltage Optimisation Project (collaboration -AB Supermarkets, IESCO ltd, Ecomechnica)
  • Opening a first satellite office for a Fast-Track 100 company (Manchester 2009)

What attracted you to the Kent MBA programme and why?

As a resident of Canterbury, the proximity to home was attractive. On further research I was very pleased to discover the great reputation and accreditations that the course has.

The Kent MBA is also very international, which will give perspectives that perhaps some other MBAs might not offer.

What were your motivations for undertaking an MBA?

As it had been 14 years since I was last at University, I felt that an MBA would be a great way to put my experience into context whilst building some core business skills and knowledge.

Aspiration

I want the Kent MBA to take me to a more educated and connected place in my career so that I can make the most of the opportunities that arise.

Advice

Understand your clients’ motivation.