Gaurav Kathuria

MBA 2020, UK

“There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen.” Jim Lovell

My professional role involves delivering process improvements and associated IT Solutions. It encompasses overseeing the entire process improvement lifecycle starting with identifying opportunities for improvement, analysing and modelling current business processes through to implementing redesigned processes and managing change.

I started my career in information technology, progressing to information systems and business intelligence leading into process improvement driven by BI and technology.

Outside of work, I enjoy running and playing badminton. I am also an animal lover and walk a borrowed dog on the Kent campus every week.

Achievements 

• I transformed my organisations short term accommodation letting process, leading to a 30% increase in turnover through selling on additional channels and reducing the cost of processing a booking by 75%
  • I redesigned my organisations estates reactive maintenance process, thus reducing the time taken to assign requests from 2 days to under an hour and enabling real time monitoring of service requests through to completion
  • I managed a project to implement the new IT infrastructure in a record time of 40 days and at 15% below estimated costs

What attracted you to the Kent MBA programme and why?

Having lived in Canterbury and worked in the HE sector for over a decade, I was very familiar with the University of Kent and had heard good reviews of the Kent Business School from peers in the sector. The unique combination of academic and peer learning and networking opportunities offered by the Kent MBA attracted me to the programme.

What were your motivations for undertaking an MBA?

I have been looking to transition from an IT career to a business consulting one. Although, I have made substantial progress, the MBA will give me the boost I need.

Aspirations

In the short to medium term, I was to progress into the senior management position in the Estates and Facilities function. In the long term, I would like to start my own consultancy business providing SME’s in the Hospitality and Facilities Management Sector advise on process improvement and digital transformation. I would like to be ready to take advantage of the growth in these industries after the pandemic as there will be an increased demand for cost saving digital technologies going forward.

Advice

Never say “No” and always ask “why”.