Mike Cardy

UK, MBA 2019

“All our dreams can come true; if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney

I chose the Kent MBA as the way in which the course was set up and delivered really matched with how I believed I could get the most from the course. Once I had checked the credentials and rankings to be sure, I knew this was the place for me.

I am currently working as Finance Manager for a group of companies and I’m also General Manager of one of the companies in the group. I have worked my way up from an Accounts Assistant, quickly, and my ambition and drive has been identified and encouraged by my employer. I recently completed my Chartered Accountancy qualification (ACCA) and believe the MBA to be the natural step in my career path.

In my free time, I enjoy mountain biking and I play football every week. I love spending time in the great outdoors.

Achievements

• My achievements to date include retraining as an accountant around working full time and raising three children, whilst also starting a successful business at the same time.
  • I passed all exams the first time round, wherein the higher-level exams, usually around two-thirds of people at each exam sitting failed the exam.
  • My biggest achievement so far is turning around a failing business, preventing a huge failure for the group and returning its investment with interest, which had all but been written off. This is the business that I am currently General Manager of.

I am excited to add many more achievements to this list in the future.

Aspirations

I have ambition in buckets, and I know that the MBA can open up opportunities for me in the future. I wish to have a long and prosperous career in business leadership and really want to make a difference to businesses far and wide.

Advice

Look to improve your business every day or you risk being left behind. Try not to get lost in the here and now and forget to strategize and plan for the longer term.

To find out more and apply for the Kent MBA at Kent Business School, visit The Kent MBA webpage.