Daniel Hansen

MBA 2019, Ghana

“I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.” – G. K Chesterton

I found the Kent MBA appealing due to its golden status for Excellent Teaching Framework which makes Kent Business School stand out amongst other universities. Most importantly, I find Kent to be more student-focused in that it provides a more supportive and welcoming environment for its students.

I’m currently a Junior Associate with over three years of experience in the Human Resources department of the United Nation’s Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO). I also served as the Executive Assistant to the Deputy Regional Representative.

I aspire to create my own HR advisory firm which would advise new college graduates on how to best present themselves to their future employers. I would want my firm to be known for its excellence in providing competent human capacity for professional roles.

Outside of work, my hobbies include participating in art shows, volunteering for various social causes and music.

Achievements

• During my time in the FAO Regional Office of Africa, I was appointed by the Deputy Regional Representative to draft the year’s annual report for the Internal Control Validation Committee covering the 47 countries overseen in the region.
  • I devised a system for the effective and efficient processing of National Project Personnel travel to other regions to work on FAO related projects and events. This system has since been adopted by the Regional Office for use around Africa which this has caught the attention of Headquarters in Rome and Italy, making Daniel Hansen a name known throughout the region.
  • I played a significant part in a seven-member team in organising the World Food Day Celebration in Ghana in 2018. This was one of the major events organised for the countries in the African region and was tasked with leading the marketing campaign for the celebration. This successful event not only landed on the global FAO Twitter page but was also given kudos by the organisation’s then-Assistant Director-General, Mr Bukar Tijani.

Aspirations

I aim to leverage my Kent MBA into a senior-level role at the United Nations and later in the private business world. Such a position would enable me to introduce advanced management tools and a business persons perspective to a global, critically important institution that can do even more good for the world’s community. After my time at the UN, I aim to establish my own Human Resources and Management Firm that would provide expert consultancy to business organisations and various industry sectors.

Advice

Every decision you take is a learning opportunity, a mistake or an accomplishment. It’s all aimed at helping you get a step closer to being the best version of yourself. Don’t be afraid to make them.

To find out more and apply for the Kent MBA at Kent Business School, visit The Kent MBA webpage.