Anastasia Benekou

Greece, MBA 2019

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.” Marianne Williamson 

The Kent Business School campus and the city of Canterbury played an important factor in choosing a course, since I prefer living in a smaller and more peaceful environment. This factor, along with the high ratings as a business programme made me list it as my first choice. Also, the course structure included the modules that interested me along with the one-to-one coaching which seemed a great help and support especially for someone like me who does not have a business-scientific background.

I began my career as a psychologist, working with vulnerable groups of people, such as Alzheimer’s patients. Afterwards, I have worked in a technical company as an executive assistant to the CEO and I was also the deputy HR manager for one of the biggest projects at the company with 300 employees. For the last three years, I have been working in the humanitarian sector, working with the refugee population in N.Greece and Lesvos. I started working as a psychologist and for the last year and a half I have acquired the roles of the Project Manager and Country Director in NGOs. I hope to be able to continue working in the senior management of big global organisations and also in acquiring a position in the social policy sector of my country.

My hobbies outside of study/work include going to the gym, reading books and watching movies.

Achievements

• Awarded the Chevening Scholarship
  • Earned a position in my first choice, the Kent MBA.
  • Proud that despite the fact my degree is in Psychology, I have managed to be promoted to be the Country Director and stabilise the work of the NGO I was working in Greece. Also, during my work, I managed to complete my clinical training in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy.

Aspirations

I aspire to work at the senior management of larger global organisations in Greece and later on, the management and social policy of my country. Currently, the unemployment rates in Greece are high and on top of that there is an ongoing refugee crisis. Upon my return to Greece, I aspire to work in providing innovating solutions and entrepreneurial opportunities to support both Greeks and refugees in developing a sustainable solution.

Advice

Start from below and slowly see yourself up.

You will have to understand all the positions that are needed in a company well, in order to be able to resolve any issues that might come up when you are in a senior management position.

To find out more and apply for the Kent MBA at Kent Business School, visit The Kent MBA webpage.