ENFSI Conference: Visualising the Future

May 2024 – Dundee, Scotland by Diana Suciu

At the end of May 2024, I had the incredible opportunity to attend and speak at the European Network of Forensic Science Institutes (ENFSI) conference in Dundee, Scotland, alongside my colleague Andrew Langley. Organized by ENFSI—an international forensic strategy alliance of multiple forensic institutes—this conference marked a milestone in my career as a Technical Manager in Forensic Science at the University of Kent.

At the conference, we delivered a presentation on the future of forensic science, discussing our field’s approach and acceptance to cutting-edge developments and emerging trends in technology. The reception was very positive, and it was truly inspiring to engage with fellow forensic professionals from around the continent. Sharing my insights while learning from the leading minds in forensic science was an invaluable experience.

The conference also allowed me to network with researchers, practitioners, and other professionals from diverse backgrounds. One of the significant outcomes of my participation was the recognition of the importance of bridging the gap between academic research and industry practitioners in forensic science. These interactions have opened doors to potential collaborations and joint projects, which I am eager to pursue. Engaging with such expertise has broadened my perspective and provided fresh ideas for advancing our work back at the university.

Moreover, the hospitality extended by our hosts in Dundee was exceptional. They graciously showed us the beautiful city, enriching our experience beyond the professional realm and offering a deeper introduction to the local culture and history.

The conference emphasized the importance of continuous professional development and staying updated with the latest advancements in forensic science. Distributing this type of information is crucial for the continuous improvement of our practical teaching and research methodologies. Overall, the conference was a transformative experience that reinforced my commitment to the field and highlighted the value of collaboration and innovation in forensic science.

RRS Discovery at the Discovery Point Museum in Dundee, Scotland