The transformative experience of being a Diversity Mark Officer

by Paige Sharma, Diversity Mark Officer and postgraduate student in Computer Science

Photo of Paige Sharma, Diversity Mark Officer

Hi there, my name is Paige and I have been a Diversity Mark Officer (DMO) for just under two years now.

Becoming a DMO:

As a Malawian national who moved to the UK in my mid-teens, I experienced a sense of exclusion within my educational experience, and quickly learned the important role that fostering inclusivity plays in counteracting this. This inspired me to apply for the role of a Diversity Mark Officer at the University of Kent, as a chance to address the very issues of exclusion and underrepresentation I had faced. It was a chance to ensure that students from diverse backgrounds felt seen, heard, and valued in their academic pursuits.

DMO Support for Master’s:

During my final year as an undergraduate and while working as a DMO, I learned about a scholarship from one of my lecturers. This scholarship, provided by the Office for Students, aims to encourage minority students to enter the Artificial Intelligence industry, addressing the current lack of Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) and female students in tech. The scholarship offers full tuition funding for a conversion Master’s in computer science with a focus on AI.

Considering this conversion Master’s degree, I discussed the opportunity with Rachel, our Diversity Mark Lead. She was very excited for me and provided substantial encouragement and support for my application. Rachel noted that pursuing the Master’s would also allow me to continue my role as a DMO for an additional year.

With Rachel’s encouragement and my experience as a DMO, I learned the importance of inclusivity. This experience gave me the confidence to apply for both the Master’s program and the scholarship. I understood the significance of initiatives like this scholarship in promoting inclusivity in the tech industry. Additionally, I knew I would have the support of the Student Success department and the financial stability of continuing as a DMO for another year alongside my conversion Master’s studies. Rachel supported me throughout the application process and served as my referee for the Master’s program. My role as a DMO significantly strengthened my scholarship application by underscoring my commitment to inclusivity and diversity in education.

I was ultimately awarded the scholarship, which greatly removed the financial burden of my studies by covering my full tuition. Without this funding, pursuing the Master’s wouldn’t have been possible.

Master’s Challenges

Despite the support, my Master’s journey was not without its hurdles. Some of my modules were not designed to accommodate conversion students like me, who came from non-computing/STEM backgrounds. The lack of additional support, as well as the teaching content and styles that did not cater to diverse learning needs, made the programme quite challenging. At times, it was discouraging and difficult to stay motivated.

However, my experience as a DMO gave me the confidence to advocate for myself and other conversion students facing similar challenges. I actively engaged with various departments, including the Student Union and my computing department’s support team. I was also able to use my role as a DMO, seek moral support and practical advice from the Student Success team on navigating these difficulties and using their name when emailing and asking for additional support in my studies. Unfortunately, the computing department did not offer the necessary accommodations we needed despite my persistent requests for additional support for conversion students due to what the department explained to be institutional barriers.

Becoming a Diversity Mark Officer was a transformative experience that not only helped me progress academically but also empowered me to be a voice for change. The support from the Student Success team and the scholarship provided by the Office for Students were crucial in my journey. Despite the challenges, my role as a DMO gave me the resilience and confidence to pursue my Master’s in computer science and continue advocating for inclusive education.