“Embracing diversity as a powerful tool for personal growth and knowledge.”

Accounting and Finance undergraduate, Olisa Ofoma, explains motivation behind becoming Diversity Mark Officer.

Part of the ‘My Story’ series of reflections by Student Success Diversity Mark Officers.

By Olisa Ofoma.

Hi, my name is Olisa Ofoma. As a third-year Accounting and Finance undergraduate, the Diversity Mark role and the mission of the student success team to address student attainment disparities resonated deeply with me. This comes particularly from my individual experiences as a Black African male who has grappled with the unique challenges that Black students, particularly black men, face in the classroom.

My journey in education has been marked by a persistent struggle to find positive role models within the academic staff and a curriculum that often felt disconnected from my cultural identity. Growing up in North London, I became very aware of the negative stereotypes and implicit biases embedded in the education system, which cast a long shadow over the academic prospects of black students. These biases manifest as lower expectations and limited opportunities, perpetuating a cycle of disadvantage in the black community. For me, my journey was not just about academic achievement; it was about self-discovery and empowerment. In response to the lack of representation, I delved into black literature, seeking narratives that mirrored my experiences and enriched my understanding of the world. As an Igbo man, exploring the profound tapestry of West African history became a source of strength, fostering pride in my heritage and aiding me in overcoming the challenges that I faced in my university life.

Diversity and inclusion in education is crucial not just for the sake of meeting quotas or checking boxes but because they help to challenge beliefs and broaden perspectives. In today’s landscape, I see the terms “diversity” and “inclusion” often tossed around as buzzwords, losing some of their inherent power. However, when genuinely embraced and implemented, they can become powerful tools for personal growth and knowledge. In my personal life, the interactions I have had with individuals from diverse backgrounds have been transformative, challenging my assumptions and broadening my horizons. I have found that this has nurtured a more nuanced perspective on various issues, preparing me for a globalized world where collaboration and communication across diverse communities are indispensable. As an African man, the importance of representation cannot be overstated. Witnessing individuals who share my cultural background in leadership roles and positively portrayed in academic culture has been a powerful antidote to negative stereotypes, fostering a more inclusive academic and professional environment. Embracing diversity is not merely an academic pursuit but a personal commitment that enriches my learning experience and contributes to the creation of a vibrant, harmonious community for everyone involved.

My journey is a testament to the profound impact that diversity can have on personal growth and academic success. The resilience forged through overcoming challenges, coupled with the wealth of knowledge gained from diverse perspectives, has shaped me into an advocate for inclusivity in education. As I continue my academic path, I look forward to actively contributing to creating an educational landscape where every student, regardless of their background, can thrive and find inspiration in the rich tapestry of their own identity.