‘Active representation in modules for all students is key.’

Law student, Simone Oliver, reflects on her motivation to become Diversity Mark Officer.

Part of the ‘My Story’ series of reflections by Student Success Diversity Mark Officers.

“As a multicultural woman of Caribbean, African-American and Black-British descent living in London, I have always been encouraged to be respectful and appreciative of other cultures by being open to their different practices and paying attention to how they are treated. I have also studied history for my A Levels where I always actively guided towards considering the different perspectives of religious groups and marginalised communities on events. This fostered in me the desire to always take into account how others are represented because I believe representation is vital for students to establish a connection to their module and a strong interest in the content.

Throughout my time at the University on my law course, I have noticed areas where I believe improvements are needed in order for myself and others to feel included and respected. For instance, in my modules there are not many discussions of the content where people can give their subjective views and I would like to change this so that students can feel as though their experiences in relation to the law are just as important and relevant, despite their different demographics.

By being a Diversity Mark Officer I endeavour to help make modules more accessible for students who struggle with learning in only one manner of learning by advocating for there to be a wider range of learning materials, like visual aids, podcasts and videos. Additionally, I hope to make an impact by encouraging more sensitivity around controversial topics in modules so all the students feel safe and welcomed. Overall, I strive to meet with module convenors and generate more inclusivity in their modules so there is active representation in modules for students.”