Self Help Books to Help Oneself

picture of 'look after your shelf' sign in a book shop

Another way to stay motivated: seek inspiration from the shelves…

Resuming education after six months locked in your house is an intimidating thought, but the experience itself? Terrifying.  As a 2nd-year university student, I understand that the first year of university is a struggle, and I have monumental respect for everyone who is studying through this pandemic.

Regardless of how good your grades are, how many sports teams you’re on or how well you sleep, everyone gets a little slack sometimes – procrastination is worse than any drug.

On that account, I want to share with you one of my ways of staying motivated.

The great thing about self-help books is that you can find a plethora of them suited for every aspect of life. So, regardless of the hardships you are experiencing, there will be a book sitting on a shelf somewhere ready to help.

These books have quickly become a fundamental part of my routine – they’ve helped me make small changes that have resulted in massive improvements, as well as teaching me how to adopt healthy habits and break free from toxic ones. It’s almost frustrating that it took me two decades to properly learn how to manage my time because it’s so easy to do and really improved my grades.

This compelling genre of books has not only helped me progress academically but has improved my relationships with friends and family. There are many books focused primarily on developing yourself in a social light, such as “How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie, which was the first self-help book I read. Putting the techniques from this book into practice skyrocketed my confidence right before I joined university, making the transition much smoother. 5 years ago, the thought of meeting new people petrified me, the same way it does to most. Now, making new friends is an effortless task and my social circle couldn’t be better.

Unfortunately, I can’t summarise the limitless benefits of self-help books in one blog post. I can only say that learning and practising that which you read will lead to an inexplicable transformation of knowledge and character. For those willing to make the brave jump, here are the books I consider essential:

• “How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie
  • “Atomic Habit” by James Clear
  • “Man’s Search for Meaning” by Victor E. Frankl
  • “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck” by Mark Manson
  • “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen R. Covey

Written by Hussain Rahman, second year student, 15.11.21

If you’d like to comment on or contribute to a podcast or article for Student Services, email us at StudentServicesWeb@kent.ac.uk.

Check out further articles on Support and Wellbeing.