On the road again

Welcome back!We hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.

christmas-party
The four Recruitment Officers at the EMS Christmas party

Here in University of Kent Recruitment we are back out on the road already with fairs and talks in schools – I have already been to Meopham School, Therfield School and The Misbourne for fairs and attended a very interesting evening at Tonbridge School about Law when I spoke to the students and parents about Studying Law at Kent and our new Law building; The Wigoder Building.

We’ve welcomed a few schools to our Canterbury campus for visits as well, including Lycée Le Rebours who came all the way from Paris, ironically from within walking distance of our Paris centre, to visit us as part of a few days’ trip to Canterbury. We have also attended several Postgraduate events in Birmingham and Bristol which certainly makes a change to talking to sixth formers – and it great to speak to current undergraduates about continuing their education with us at Kent.

russ
Russ at the Ambassador’s House in Luxembourg

The events and trips are already building up over the coming months with EU events beginning again. University of Kent Recruitment staff will be in Paris, Brussels, Helsinki, Dublin, Patras, Ioannina, Larisa, Heraklion, Riga and Milan before the end of February. My wife and I are expecting our first soon, and my colleagues have very kindly taken on most of the EU trips so I can be close to home for if/when that call comes, but I get to sneak one EU trip in before baby Newell graces us with her presence – I will be in Vilnius in the coming weeks for the Studia event at Litexpo to speak to the students there about UK study at Kent. I have never been to Lithuania before so I am looking forward to ticking another country off!

Otherwise, between NCT classes and trips to Mothercare, I dash around the map of the UK for fairs and talks – the season of UCAS conventions is looming pretty large on the horizon. We are about to get back into the swing of Applicant Days as well, when we will welcome applicants to the campus to hear more about their choice of courses, accommodation, activities, sports and the university generally. Some of them may even be coming for an interview so there are often some quite nervous faces – all I can say is relax, be yourself and re-read your personal statement before you go in (it can often be the basis for your interview).

All the best, David.