Don’t forget – registration closes for this event at 10.00 on Tuesday 6 August!
National Cycle to Work Day is Thursday 8 August. To celebrate this, and to encourage a greener campus, you are invited to breakfast at Jarman Plaza (opposite Blackwell’s Bookshop) 8.00-9.00.
All you need to do is cycle to campus on that day and come and enjoy a free breakfast and cuppa.
To help us get an idea of numbers for catering, please register on Eventbrite by Tuesday 10.00. Don’t worry about bringing a ticket to the event. Just turn up with your bike and join us.
Dr Bike will be in attendance. Dr Bike (Chris) provides bike repairs on campus each Wednesday at the Cycle Hub near the Sports Pavilion.
We look forward to seeing you on Thursday morning.
The Centre for English and World Languages has two spare tickets for the 2pm performance of As You Like It at the Globe Theatre (Lower Gallery) on 22 August.
Face value is £47. If you would like the tickets, please email email@example.com by 5pm on 31 July and make us an offer.
Medway Council is offering Kent staff special deals for next week’s Rochester Castle Concerts. Don’t miss the opportunity for some nights of great music and dancing from Brit Award nominees, music legends and soul superstars in a wonderful setting.
- Wednesday 10 July – Rudimental (Sound System). The genre-defying supergroup and BRIT nominees – who have sold more than 20 million singles and over two million albums – will be bringing their own unique sound to the castle with their Sound System set which features a DJ set with live brass and vocals. Joining Rudimental on the opening night are two special guests; platinum-selling artist Example, and fellow BRIT nominee, Mahalia. SPECIAL OFFER for University staff £35 (down from £48.50) – just click on the partner offer button on the Castle Concerts website.
- Thursday 11 July – Craig David. We are delighted to welcome back superstar Craig David who replaces Jess Glynne who had to cancel due to ill health. From his iconic early tracks and club classics, to his numerous recent hits and collaborations, Craig takes a break from his Ibiza Rocks residency to perform his packed back catalogue. Tickets £45.
- Friday, 12 July – is party night at the Soul Party concert, when the audience will get to boogie the night away under the stars and singalong to their favourite floor-filling hits from the likes of Chaka Khan, Tina Turner, James Brown, Aretha Franklin and Lionel Richie, to name just a few. The evening will be headlined by legend George McCrae, singer of the smash hit Rock Your Baby. Joining him will be the disco group Odyssey and Heather Small, singer of the famous Proud track and former M People star. Tickets 37.50 – SPECIAL OFFER – FOUR TICKETS FOR THE PRICE OF THREE.
- Saturday, 13 July – The great Proms finale, featuring the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra who will be performing a selection of James Bond movie themes along with classical hits such as Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, Fantasia on British Sea Songs, Rule Britannia and Jerusalem. They will be joined by with special guests Collabro – the world’s most successful musical theatre group and stars of Britain’s Got Talent – and soprano Laura Wright, one of the biggest selling classical artists this decade. The Kent Rock Choir will also be performing and interval entertainment will be provided by NChant, the Senior Girls’ Choir from The Rochester Grammar School. Tickets £35.
TO BOOK tickets, visit the Castle Concerts website or ring 01634 338338. You will need to click on the Partners, Armed Forces button when you book on the Rudimental offer.
Kent Sport Physiotherapy Clinic will be running a staff-only discount on massages throughout July to help you relax and unwind now that summer is here! Massages are being offered at £19 for 30 minutes – and that’s the same great price regardless of whether you’re a Kent Sport member or not.
Massage has a number of both physical and psychological benefits, these include:
- Lifting your mood
- Relax tense muscles
- Reduce stress
- Relax the mind
- Improve circulation
- Increase overall feeling of wellbeing
To book an appointment, please visit the reception desk inside the fitness suite at the Sports Centre, call the clinic staff on 01227 824375 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please remember to bring your staff Kent One card so we are able to apply the discount!
Rudimental (Sound System) with special guests Example and Mahalia will be performing on Wednesday, 10 July at the Rochester #CastleConcerts.
Rudimental will be performing a DJ set with live vocals and brass with:
- Mark Crown playing the trumpet
- Taurean Antonie Chagar playing the saxophone
- Morgan Connie Smith and Bridget Amofah on vocals
Tickets are just £35 (down from £48.50). Whether you’re a full or part-time student, or member of staff, simply select the student option at the checkout! And please tell your friends.
Get your tickets now via Medway Tickets Live.
For more information, see the Castle Concerts webpages.
The University is offering a one-off opportunity for staff to purchase one week (pro rata for part-time staff) of additional leave which can be taken between July 2019 and June 2020.
The cost of buying the leave is the same as the reduction in salary would be for taking unpaid leave, but the advantage is that the cost is deducted from salary over 12 months, thereby spreading the cost throughout the year. Pension contributions are not affected.
The facility is available to professional service staff in grades 1 to 10 and professional and senior management staff, holding full-time or part-time contracts of employment either on an open-ended or fixed-term basis. Unfortunately, due to either contractual or operational constraints, some groups of staff are excluded from applying for this facility.
Full details of the facility can be found on the HR webpages.
This facility is mutually beneficial to both staff and the University by providing additional flexibility for employees whilst generating savings for the University through the deduction of salary.
Applications to purchase the additional leave, and requests to book the leave, are made through Staff Connect. Guidance on how to do this is available via Staff Connect. Scroll down to Additional Leave (purchased).
The sun is shining, the sea is calling your name – summertime is here!
Kent Sport wants to help you get more active with our popular 50% off summer membership offer, giving you the chance to experience Gold membership at Kent Sport for one-month at a time.
The summer membership offer provides unlimited access to modern sports facilities including the fitness suite, squash courts, outdoor facilities and entry to all fitness and dance classes. If you’re looking to get out in the sunshine, then Gold members can hire a range of high-quality bikes for free through the Kent Sport Cycle Hub. Or simply brush up on your tennis skills with our outdoor grass tennis courts.
Prices for 2019:
- New for this year: the incredible staff rate of just £13 per month. That’s only 80p per day!
- Juniors* (anyone in full-time education or 16 to 18 years old) pay just £29.
- And those outside of the University get an all-access Gold membership for £37.
Summer membership is available for purchase from 1 June to 1 September 2019 inclusive and are for use for one month from purchase date. To purchase your membership, visit the Sports Centre or Pavilion receptions. For further details and terms and conditions, please visit kent.ac.uk/sports/membership. You can view the Kent Sport facility opening hours here.
*To apply for the junior rate please bring with you proof of full-time education (student card, etc.)
For Kent Sport news, events and special offers, Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram and Twitter UniKentSports.
Fancy having a go at a Triathlon? Ashford Tri Club is offering Kent students and staff £5 off entry to the Hythe Bay Triathlon on Sunday 19 May.
This very friendly local event is suitable for beginners and experienced triathletes: it features a 250m pool swim, 15km bike leg from Hythe to Folkestone and back, and a scenic 5km run along Hythe promenade.
More information is on the Ashford Tri Club website.
Register online and use code KENT195 to get the £5 discount.
From 30 April, Gulbenkian will be working with Canterbury based Garage Coffee to bring their ethically-sourced, delicious coffee to their café.
The Cafe will be serving their delicious house blend Maypole and a selection of single origin filter coffees. Importantly for Gulbenkian and the team behind Garage Coffee, they ensure that any coffee they produce comes from farms where workers are paid a good rate for their beans. They only use importers who deal with these speciality farms, which means that they know that the farmers are getting paid, on average, around 25% more than the fair-trade rate.
The Cafe will also be serving a fabulous array of loose leaf teas, expertly blended by Debonair Tea, a family-run tea business in Kent.
James and Alice from Team Garage Coffee will be on site on 30 April, so please come up to the café and say hi, have a chat to them about coffee and take your first look at this fantastic new addition to the speciality coffee scene in Kent!
Current students and graduates from the last three years can now apply for up to £3000 to take their start-up business ideas forward.
Through the EIRA project, this microfinance opportunity supports innovative start-ups in their earliest stages, helping to get ideas developed and tested. Applicants must produce a short video pitch (up to 3 minutes) and submit a written application too, the deadline for applications will be midnight on Sunday 30 June. Shortlisted applicants will then be invited to pitch to a review panel in the summer.
What is EIRA Microfinance?
EIRA are providing £3000 seed funding to students who have businesses or starting-up businesses. Th funding is provided by EIRA to help accelerate your business, their aim is to help start-ups to progress.
How do I enter?
You will need to fill out the application form attached. where you will answer key questions about your business.
You will need to submit a three minute video pitch, which introduces us to your business. The video should be submitted privately so ensure if you do it on YouTube that you make it as a private video as to prevent public view.
The scheme is available to current students or graduates within the last 3 years of all EIRA partner institutions.
The student must have started a business that has a business bank account. EIRA Microfinance Grants can only be paid into a business bank account.
Applicants will have to demonstrate their right to work in the UK
Applications relating to the EIRA themes of Artificial Intelligence, Biotechnology and Digital Creative, or where there is potential for the business to grow in the East of England, will be prioritised for funding.