Calling all scientists and researchers! You are warmly invited to the Pint of Science Festival, taking place from 22-24 May 2023.
This event is a worldwide science festival which brings researchers to your local pub/cafe/space to share their scientific discoveries with you, in a relaxed and informal setting.
The idea is to provide a platform which allows scientists from a wide range of fields, to share their research with the public. This is a fantastic opportunity to engage the public with your research and to get experience of sharing it with new audiences. Both the University and the REF acknowledge the importance of such outreach. Plus it’s a lot of fun!
We will be running festival events in Canterbury and Medway and are now looking for expressions of interest from speakers, including Early Career Researchers and final year PhD students looking to develop their skills and experience in talking about their research.
If you are interested, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details by Tuesday 31 January:
- Your name and school/department
- A summary of your research (max 100 words)
- Your description for your proposed session – 20-30 minutes (max 100 words)
- An explanation of how you will make it engaging for the public audience – importantly involving an interactive component (max 100 words).
- Suggest which of the below Pint of Science themes you think your session would best fit into.
Pint of Science themes
- Beautiful Mind – neuroscience, psychology and psychiatry
- Atoms to Galaxies – physics, chemistry, maths, astronomy
- Our Body – medicine, human biology, health
- Planet Earth – geosciences, plant sciences, zoology
- Tech Me Out – biotechnology, robotics, computers
- Our Society – law, history, politics, policy, languages
- Creative Reactions – art and science come together
The Kent Pint of Science Team will review these ‘expressions of interest’ with a view to developing themes for each evening of the festival. We will then contact applicants in early February with the outcome, further info and later organise a practice run in the spring for all of our presenters.
We look forward to hearing from you!
For further general information visit the Pint of Science website.