Meet Thomas – Kent Union’s new Vice President for Welfare and Community

A huge congratulations to Thomas on his new role as Vice President for Welfare & Community 2022/23, a student leadership position in Kent Union. This role draws focus to student life within the local community, development of student safety schemes and tackling student welfare issues at Kent.

We asked Thomas a few questions about his plans for the role, revealing his passion about living, studying and working in Canterbury.

What would you like to bring in your role as VP of Welfare & Community?

“Having previously volunteered for the Independent Police Advisory Group and Kent Union, I have a good knowledge of the work being done to make our cities safer and I am excited to contribute towards this great work in my new position. I am passionate about driving an increase in the volunteering and outreach from Kent Union societies and clubs, providing opportunities to use their unique skills to benefit their local community. I want to amplify their student voice and provide students with the tools and funding they need to mobilise their initiatives off-campus”.

Where do you feel you’ll work most closely with the local community in your role?

“A key part of the work we do is making Canterbury and Medway safe places to live and study. Local safety isn’t just an issue owned by students, rather it is one shared by our whole community. I would like to work with our local residents and services on shared goals that improve the city not just for students, but for everyone.”

How do you feel your experience at Kent has prepared you for the role?

“I have lived in Canterbury for 5 years and studied on the Medway campus to complete my degree, this gives me a great idea of the challenges faced by our students in these areas and I can’t wait to start my role and make a difference at Kent. One of the wonderful things about living and studying here, is that you truly feel a part of Kent, and that is something I am proud to be.”

We wish Thomas the best of luck in his new position, and look forward to working alongside him in the year to come.