New DVC Research and Innovation

Congratulations to Professor Shane Weller, who has been appointed as our new Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research and Innovation.

Shane was educated at the universities of Oxford and Yale, and worked for some years in the publishing industry before pursuing a career in academia. His first teaching post was at the University of Oxford. He joined the University of Kent in 2005, was promoted to a professorship in Comparative Literature in 2010, and from 2013 to 2019 was Head of the School of European Culture and Languages. In 2020, he was appointed Interim Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research and Innovation at Kent, and in that capacity oversaw the University’s submission to REF2021.

His own field of research is the history of ideas, with a particular focus on modern European literature and culture. He has published nine books in that area, as well as numerous journal articles and book chapters. His two most recent books – The Idea of Europe: A Critical History and Samuel Beckett and Cultural Nationalism – were both published by Cambridge University Press in 2021.

On his appointment to the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research and Innovation at Kent, Shane says:

‘Over the past year, I have learned so much about the exciting and innovative work being undertaken by Kent’s researchers. I am absolutely delighted to have been given this opportunity to work with colleagues across the institution to take forward the University’s ambitious plans for research and innovation.

‘I believe strongly in the importance of a people-centred research culture, and in the contribution to be made by everyone in the research and innovation ecosystem. I have been particularly impressed by the engagement of Kent’s researchers with both regional and global challenges, and their commitment to bringing cultural, social and economic benefits to wider communities. The richness and diversity of Kent’s research and innovation is truly impressive.

‘In my capacity as Deputy Vice-Chancellor, I will do my very best to support, champion and reward Kent’s research community, and to help it to achieve the national and international recognition that it deserves.’