Fulbright future ahead for Kent law student Amaka Agbandje-Boyce

A Fulbright future in the US awaits Kent Law LLB student Amaka Agbandje-Boyce who has secured a prestigious US-UK Fulbright Commission scholarship at one of America’s top-35 ranked law schools! Congratulations Amaka!

Amaka beat off fierce competition to win a Fulbright Postgraduate Student Award at Indiana University – Maurer School of Law. The US-UK Fulbright Commission selected Amaka for the award after a rigorous application and interview process, assessing her academic excellence, cultural curiosity and leadership qualities. When selecting scholars, the Commission also looks for evidence of a range of extracurricular and community activities, demonstrated ambassadorial skills, a desire to further the Fulbright mission and a plan to give back to the UK upon returning.

Amaka said: ‘I think my involvement in many law-related extra-curricular activities really helped me in my application and interview. I drew upon my Kent Law Temple Society (KLTS) committee position and my involvement with Kent Law School’s mooting and mock trial programmes. In my first year, I secured an internship in Kent Union’s offices, which I also feel made my application a little bit more unique, as a lot of jobs with student unions are in retail and hospitality. I had such a different experience working at a desk and working on my own terms to a degree, which was great for demonstrating my independence and sense of professionalism. Being a law school rep for two years also showed by involvement in the campus community, which I think Fulbright looks for. They stress that academics only take a candidate so far, so I’d recommend anybody considering applying to really throw yourself into various activities during your time at Kent; you want to come across as an involved and invested, well-rounded student.’

Amaka’s award comprises a full tuition waiver and mandatory fee waiver, which includes health, sports and travel across the city of Bloomington and campus. As a Fulbright scholar, Amaka will also receive administrative support and a cultural education programme including visa support, a comprehensive pre-departure orientation, enrichment opportunities while abroad, a re-entry session and access to a global alumni network.

At Indiana Law, Amaka will be one of only 40-50 new “highly qualified” graduate students admitted to the LLM programme. And she’ll be studying on a campus ranked by Condé Nast Traveler as the third most beautiful college campus in the US.

Learn more about Amaka’s aspirations and interview experience on Kent Law School’s news blog.