Brexit update – 1 December 2020

As we near the end of the transition period, we would like to highlight some key areas to help you understand the impact of Brexit including travelling in the EEA from January 2021, UK travel disruption and the new immigration system.

Further information and support can be found on the Staff Brexit webpages or, if you would prefer to speak with someone, please email

Disruption to travel to and from our UK campuses

Delays at channel ports and the closure of major roads for lorry parking may cause travel disruptions or delays when travelling to and from the Canterbury and Medway campuses in early 2021, with potentially longer-term congestion.

The Covid-19 pandemic has meant that a significant proportion of staff are now able to work from home, but there are still many staff who need to attend campus and who may therefore be affected by increased congestion. If you are required to work on or attend campus, you are advised to be prepared for increased journey times and to plan your journey in advance.  Alternative travel arrangements may need to be made particularly when we return from the Christmas break. If you have any concerns about getting to work please discuss this with your line manager.

Travel delays for UK passport holders travelling to Europe

From January 2021, UK passport holders are encouraged to check the new requirements before travelling, which includes passport validity, insurance and allowing additional time for increased checks at points of entry to the EEA. If you are travelling for business, including teaching at our European centres, please ensure you refer to the latest Government, post-Brexit travelling advice and the general Key Travel webpage

EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

The EUSS is open until 30 June 2021 for EEA nationals resident in the UK before the end of the transition period (31 December 2020). In order to qualify, you must be resident in the UK but it is not mandatory that you have commenced employment or your studies. Pre-Settled status will be granted if you have less than five years’ residency and Settled Status will be granted if you have five years or more.

EEA staff, and their families, are strongly encouraged to apply to the scheme to ensure their current rights are protected. If you do not obtain Settled or Pre-Settled status, you may be required to apply for a visa under the new immigration system should you change employers from July 2021. You will also need to provide evidence of your Settled or Pre-Settled status from July 2021 when opening a new bank account, obtaining a new rental tenancy agreement or applying for a mortgage.

If you require guidance or have any queries regarding the scheme, please contact our dedicated email address:

UK and EU Frontier Workers

On 10 December 2020, the Home Office will launch the Frontier Worker Permit scheme which will be open to EEA citizens employed in the UK by 31 December 2020, but who live elsewhere.  The Home Office meaning of a Frontier Worker is as follows:

  • an EEA national;
  • not primarily resident in the United Kingdom; and
  • either—
    • a worker in the United Kingdom;
    • a self-employed person in the United Kingdom; or
    • a retained worker or self-employed person.

You may also be a Frontier Worker if you are a UK national living in the UK and you are working in the EU.

If you believe you are eligible to apply to the UK or EU Frontier Worker schemes, please contact so we can help to ensure you have the correct permissions from 1 January 2021.