Support at Canterbury

We understand that this year is going to be different and you may feel like you need additional support when it comes to studying online and looking after your wellbeing. But please don’t worry, there are loads of people on hand at the University to help. This blog outlines the support on offer and how to get in contact.

First points of contact

The Colleges that make up the Canterbury and Medway campuses are made up of the friendly Colleges and Community Life Team, who are a first point of contact for any kind of assistance, advice and support.

You can also get in touch with your School if you have a query. Your School should be able to help you or point you in the right direction for further support.

Support with your studies

As part of our blended learning approach, you may want to take our Online Learning at Kent: A Guide to Successful Study moodle module to help familiarise yourself with online study. You can find more help with your studies on the coronavirus studying webpage.

You can also get in touch with the  Student Learning and Advisory Service (SLAS). SLAS can help you with everything from perfecting your essay writing to learning how to reference properly.

Don’t forget your School is also there to help you with your studies and offer a range of study support.

Have you checked in with Student Support and Wellbeing?

If you have a disability, chronic condition, mental health condition, specific learning difficulty or autism, please contact Student Support and Wellbeing to see how they can help you make the most of your university journey.

We have a team of expert staff who can help you face the challenges of studying, socialising and living independently, whatever else you might be going through, whether it’s something you’re experiencing for the first time at university or something you have dealt with for a while.

There is also a free confidential counselling service which offers you a safe space to address issues concerning you and can help get thoughts, feelings, behaviour and perspective on life back in balance again.

Kent Union

Kent Union are your Students’ Union at Canterbury. From money worries to housing issues, academic problems to visa support, Kent Union’s Student Advice Centre is available to help through their free, impartial and confidential advice service.

You can also get in touch with your Kent Union full-time officers who are each responsible for specific areas within the Union.

Medical advice

Kent has its own NHS general practice on campus called the University Medical Centre. There’s also an independent pharmacy next door, so you don’t have to go far when you’re feeling under the weather.

Our University Nursing Service is available 24/7 during term-time. Currently you need to call the Nursing Service on 01227 469333 before visiting them.

If you have Covid-19 symptoms or have been asked to self-isolate, please see our coronavirus health and wellbeing page.


University Chaplains run a wide range of religious and social events. They are also a good contact for advice and support. You can also see their guidance around socially distanced faith and worship.