Dr Debbie Reed receives outstanding contribution to dental nursing award

Dr Debbie Reed, the University’s Head of Digital and Lifelong Learning, has received an award for her outstanding contribution to the dental nursing profession.

Debbie was presented with the BADN 2020 Outstanding Contribution to Dental Nursing Professional Practice Award at the BADN 80th Anniversary Virtual Afternoon Tea.

Presenting the award, BADN President Jacqui Elsden said: ‘Over the last twenty five years or more, Debbie has contributed to the advancement of Dental Nurses across many areas of dentistry and has not only inspired myself to achieve my potential but has inspired many others to do so and has recently acquired her doctorate in Education, one of only a handful of Dental Nurses to do so.’

Debbie commented: ‘As an academic and a Doctor of Education, I am reassured to know that my work and research is valued, and moreover has had a practical application, in terms of the transformational opportunities it has provided, and will continue to provide, to those employed in the dental sector… I am humbled to know that I have been an inspiration to others.’

Debbie, a former BADN Chairman, trained as a dental nurse at the Royal Navy School of Dental Training in 1987. She went on to hold varying clinical and non-clinical posts over the next 20 years, working with all three Armed Forces organisations, in the UK and overseas, until she left the Royal Navy in 2007 and joined the staff at the University of Kent.

Debbie is registered with the General Dental Council and holds a number of additional professional and vocational qualifications and awards in education, leadership and management.

Find out more about the award on the BADN webpages.