Professor Karen Cox

Vice-Chancellor’s update – 14 July 2020

It continues to be an incredibly busy time across the University, and I hope that as many of you as possible were able to find a bit of space with the recent rest days last week. I remain appreciative and respectful of the work of colleagues and also recognise the pressure we are all under, in particular those in Professional Services affected by the current consultations that are taking place as part of the Organising for Success changes. Elsewhere, work continues to support a safe, phased return to campus. This will take time, but it is encouraging to see some further facilities open this week, including additional Library services for those studying for August exams and assessments.

I am very aware that the last four months have been a time of great uncertainty and want to draw attention to the policy statement that has been put together, recognising the exceptional circumstances that have arisen as a result of Covid-19 and how this may have had a substantial impact on the ability of staff to perform their job roles as they would wish. We remain committed to ensuring that nobody suffers detriment as a result of the circumstances in which we are now living and working. This will only become more important as we adapt to a ‘hybrid’ approach to on and off-campus work and continue our preparations for next year.

Following on from Alison’s update yesterday, I also wanted to thank you all personally for the careful consideration so many have given to current pay proposals. The proposed pay freeze is something that none of us would have wanted, and I know we are having to ask a lot of everybody in what truly has been a collective response to the impact of Covid-19. I have also written to senior staff this morning with details of a voluntary pay cut scheme which further supports the need for savings. Across the University, I continue to be humbled by the many different ways staff are pulling together at such a challenging time and once again I extend my sincere thanks for all that you are doing.

With all good wishes,

Karen

Professor Karen Cox | Vice-Chancellor and President