students sat at table chatting holding cups of tea

Support at Medway campus

Now the Welcome Week madness is over, it’s probably a good time to start exploring Kent and the support services we have to offer. Watch our support, health and wellbeing video.

Support with your studies

Studying for a degree is very different to studying at school. You have a lot more control over your learning and greater independence.

You will also be asked to do things you’ve never had to do before (eg referencing in a certain way, dissertations, vivas…) this is where the Student Learning and Advisory Service (SLAS for short) steps in.

SLAS can help you with everything from perfecting your essay writing to learning how to reference properly. You can learn in your own time using our online guides or attend one of SLAS’ many workshops.

Don’t forget your school is also there to help you with your studies and offer a range of study support.

Have you checked in with Student Support and Wellbeing?

If you have a disability you should contact Student Support. They can provide not only academic support but can help with applications for funding.

If you’re going through a difficult time or just don’t feel happy – staff in our Wellbeing Team are always available to listen.

Advice Centre

From money worries to getting on with your housemates, GK Unions Student Advice Centre are available to help. All advice is free – so make the most of it!

Medical advice

You are advised to register with a practice near to your accommodation. The two closest The two closest medical practices to campus and Liberty Quays are the Sunlight Surgery and St Mary’s Island Surgery.

Master’s Office

When you arrived at Kent you automatically joined a college. Your Master’s Office is there to give advice and can be used as a first port of call for any questions you may have.

You can also get advice and support from your Student College Community Life Officers and Assistants who work in the colleges and the community. This could include offering assistance if you are concerned about a flatmate, being disturbed by noise or there are problems with untidiness in your shared accommodation.


University Chaplains run a wide range of religious and social events (including a very festive carol service in St George’s Centre on campus). They are also a good contact for advice and support.