Mark Nagy-Miticzky

Mooting experiences help Kent law student secure more than £20k in scholarships

Law student, and aspiring barrister, Mark Nagy-Miticzky says his mooting experiences at Kent were “critical” in helping him secure more than £20k in scholarships from Inner Temple and BPP.

Mark has been awarded a prestigious £16,600 Inner Temple Exhibition Award together with a £1,500 Yarborough-Anderson Scholarship (an Inner Temple Benefactors Scholarship) and a Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Award of £175 (to cover the Inn’s fees for admission and call).

Mark has also been awarded a BPP University BPTC (Bar Professional Training Course) Excellence Scholarship of £2,000.

The scholarships will help support Mark as he progresses to the BPTC, the next stage in his professional training to become a barrister. Mark chose the barrister route after completing a number of mini-pupillages and vacation schemes and after the experience of advocating on his feet through participation in the Law School’s mooting programme.

At his Inner Temple interview in London, Mark was interviewed by a panel of three barristers, including a QC and judge. Mark said: ‘I think my mooting experiences were critical in my interview. Really the three things scholarship providers and chambers look for the most (I think) are good grades, and involvement in mini-pupillages and mooting.

During his four-year International Legal Studies degree, Mark took part in a Landmark Property Moot and reached the quarter-final of an Inner Temple Moot. He was also awarded ‘Best Mooter’ for his performance in a Kent Law School Evidence Moot. Mark said: ‘Having these competitions on my CV makes it easy to check the box for mooting experiences, but the public speaking skills also meant I was somewhat more comfortable selling myself in my answers.’

For insights into his Inner Temple interview experience see the full story on Kent Law School’s news blog.