Q&A with Criminology student, Felicity James

Photo Felicity James

Why did you choose Kent?
I looked at so many different universities before choosing Kent. The decision is such a big one, but as soon as I visited Kent campus I knew that was where I belonged and I haven’t regretted it for a minute! I love spending every day in Canterbury and on campus, I have never been happier.

Why criminology?
I hadn’t studied anything like it before. My A-levels were Maths, English Literature and History. I wanted to take the opportunity to try something new that I was interested in.

How did you find the move from A-level to degree-level study?
It is very different, however it can be made easier if you have good time management. Essay questions are given months in advance, so if you plan and start writing them early it will set you on the right course.

Have you had a favourite module so far?
Crime and Society (in first year) has been my favourite. We looked at crime statistics and why crime happens. We also had guest lecturers talk about their experiences; one – which stood out for me – was from the police who were part of a huge investigation.

How would you describe your lecturers?
They’re all extremely passionate about their subject. They clearly want to teach others about their own interesting research, and are very keen to engage with students. You can see how their research feeds into their lectures which makes them incredibly interesting. They’re always willing to talk to you about anything you want, and you’re treated like an adult.

What about your fellow students?
I have met so many amazing people from my course and from where I live. Everyone has such interesting stories from all over the world. I have had the opportunity to experience different cultures in so many ways; through food, culture and language.

Have you joined any societies?
I am a part of the netball society which is amazing. Also Korfball, which I had never heard about until university! I am also the president of the Socrates society, which is a society for anyone studying criminology and the subjects alike.

What about the facilities on campus?
The library is amazing. And having a large nightclub on campus is great – their themed nights are fun, for example on Wednesdays everyone dresses up in random costumes according to their society. Canterbury is an incredible city and there’s always so much going on.

What next?
I think I’d want to stay at Kent! I’m definitely considering a Master’s, and maybe even a postgraduate degree.

What advice would you give to a prospective student?
Definitely join a society of whatever interests you. Go to the freshers fair and talk to all the different societies to see what you like. Stay on top of your Uni work so you can still do all the social parts of Uni without the stress of deadlines.

Find out more about studying Criminology at Kent.