Where are they now? Jasmine Norton

Forensic Science BSc

Jasmine Norton graduated in 2022 with a BSc in Forensic Science. We caught up with her to see where she is now.

Why did you choose Kent?

It was high in the leader boards for forensics. Also, I loved the feel of campus and all of the greenery.

What are your favourite memories from your time at Kent?

Meeting new friends from all over the world and learning about other cultures. Also a part of the forensics course is taking part in a mock court exercise in which I was an expert witness. This was such a great experience that left me feeling so proud of myself for accomplishing something like that.

What have you been up to since graduating?

Since graduating I got a job at DS Smith (a product packing company) as a Research and Development Laboratory Technician

What does your role involve?

I spend most of my time in the lab researching and testing new ideas to improve fibre and paper properties. Testing is very varied from testing new process techniques to different chemistries. If I am not in the lab I am most likely on a training course – I was sent to Grenoble in the French alps within a month of working for training and will soon be on a trip to Germany. I have been given many amazing opportunities already and am constantly surrounded by a team of people with immense experience.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job and what advice would you give to students and fellow alumni?

I had many chemistry modules which has really helped me settle in quickly as my job involves a lot of chemistry. My time in the lab at university also prepared me to work in a lab setting – I am familiar with the need for consistency and accuracy. My dissertation specifically helped me as that involved lots of planning and time keeping skills. University gave me lots of transferrable skills such as team working, resilience and communication which are all necessary in my job.

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

To try and appreciate your time at university, even though at times it can be stressful. It really can be an amazing time filled with opportunities, you just have to take them. Also, use lecturers office hours, I was intimidated at first but now I regret not using them more. Every lecturer I went to was more than happy to help and I always left them feeling so much better, there are no silly questions.