The Shipowners Club,
The Shipowners’ Club is a mutual insurance association based in the City of London. We offer Protection & Indemnity (P&I), Legal Costs Cover and associated insurances to smaller and specialist vessel owners, operators and charterers around the world. Building on over 160 years of experience, the Shipowners’ Club provides tailor-made insurance packages for each operator according to their particular need.
We are now seeking a recent Graduate to join us as a Data Analyst in our IT Department on a permanent basis. This is a new and exciting role, so we are looking for someone who wants to continue to learn and grow whilst making a real contribution and impact to the work the team do here. The successful candidate will be passionate about Data and how it can enhance business performance. Enthusiastic and quick learners with a desire to develop in a friendly Insurance company will fit in well in this forward thinking and highly respected IT department.
If interested in this role, please send us your CV and covering letter outlining why you would be suitable for this position and your salary requirements to email@example.com
Overall Purpose of the Role:
As a key member of the Data & Analytics team, this role will ensure that the Data Warehouse and other reporting capabilities are supported and developed in support of the Club’s Data Strategy.
In addition, this role helps in providing delivery and insight on data related projects as well as support tasks.
• To help maintain and develop the Data & Analytics (D&A) and Management Reporting capability across the business. • Manage day to day BAU tasks and progress Support tickets.
• Help implement optimal reporting solutions working with internal stakeholder and external suppliers.
• Work with projects to ensure D&A implications fully understood and delivered.
• Maintain regular communication and co-ordination between all relevant users/departments.
• Ensure the integrity and accuracy of operational business data.
• Follow best practice change processes.
• Ensure users are engaged and understand implications of D&A change.
• Ensure best practices are in place to enable data reconciliation.
• Ensure data governance procedures/processes are adhered to.
• Constantly develop technical and soft skills to drive improved performance.
• Assist in identifying poor data and provide input into potential solutions.
• Participate in technical discussions on technology choices, approaches, risks and considerations.
• A degree in one of the following disciplines is a must:
o Business Information Systems
o Computer Science
o Information Management
• Postgraduate degrees in Data Science (e.g.: MSc Data Science, MSc Business Analytics, MSc Data Science and Analytics, MSc Big Data) is a plus.
• An advantage if you’ve gained experience in an internship or placement during your degree.
• Excellent numerical and analytical skills.
• A great communicator who loves to translate data into insight.
• Works well independently as well as part of a team.
• Knowledge of data analysis tools – you don’t need to know all of them at entry level, but you should show advanced skills in Excel and the use of at least one relational database.
• Familiarity with other relational databases (e.g., MS Access).
• Knowledge of data modelling, data cleansing, and data enrichment techniques is a plus.
• Ability to produce clear graphical representations and data visualisations is a plus.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK.
Due to the large numbers of responses we receive, it is not possible to respond to every application. Therefore only short-listed candidates will be contacted for this particular role and if you haven’t heard from us within 3 weeks please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.