Free, personalised career support for entering the technology sector.
Great way to network and access internship opportunities
What is the upReach Tech500?
Interested in a career in technology? Join the upReach Tech500 to benefit from a free programme of exclusive career events, skills development opportunities, mentoring and an online Summer Bootcamp.
Delivered in partnership with leading tech employers, the online Summer Bootcamp gives you a headstart in securing internships and graduate roles.
The Tech500 programme runs from your first year until graduation, after which you automatically become part of the upReach alumni network.
The aims of the programme are to help you explore your career options, develop key skills to enhance your employability, widen your professional network, and – ultimately – to secure top spring weeks, summer internship and graduate job opportunities in the technology sector.
Am I eligible for this programme?
upReach is a social mobility charity, and our objective is to support students from under-represented backgrounds. This means every student we support (we call them “upReach Associates”), including those in the upReach Tech500, must meet our general eligibility criteria including:
● University: You must currently be an undergraduate that is in full-time study. This programme is open to students at any UK university.
● School: You must have attended UK state schools only (or since age 14 if educated abroad before then)
● Degree year: This programme is open for applications from students who are graduating in 2023 or 2024.
● Degree subject: We encourage students from any degree background to apply. There is no need to be studying a computer science or STEM degree to be eligible for this programme – what’s most important to us is your interest in the technology sector, not your existing knowledge.
● A-level grades: Achieved at least BBB in top 3 A-Levels on a contextualised basis (*see below) or an equivalent qualification.
● Household income: This must be below £42,620, as assessed by Student Finance. *
Please note we consider grades on a contextual basis, meaning we also take into account factors such as the school you attended or the area you live in. We believe this gives us a better indication of your true academic potential.
All applicants complete our REALrating form, which will tell you your contextual grades. For example, if you achieved a C in A-level Maths, you may find that your contextual grade is actually a B, once your background is taken into consideration. We will consider your REALrating result when determining your eligibility.
What does being part of the upReach Tech500 involve?
When joining the programme, you’ll be matched with a dedicated upReach Programme Coordinator, who will get to know you and be on-hand to provide ongoing 1-to-1 support throughout your time with us.
During a virtual “Summer Bootcamp” in late August, you will receive training from a wide selection of top employers in the sector, giving you everything you need to make a successful internship application.
Your Programme Coordinator will be able to give you extensive support at each stage of the job application process, including:
● Reviewing your CV and offering feedback,
● Reviewing your applications and cover letters for the technology and related sectors
● Mock job interviews, and
● Assessment centre preparation
As well as support from your upReach Programme Coordinator, you’ll also have access to:
● Exclusive work experience opportunities
● Exclusive employer events, like insight days to help you learn more about different organisations
● Extensive online resources, including guides to different employers, practise online tests, and career courses to help you understand the technology sector in depth
● Daily ‘Video Forums’ (webinars) to help you build your employability skills
● The opportunity to be matched with a professional mentor in the industry
upReach is able to provide this free programme thanks to the support of The Hg Foundation, and support from employers in the sector. We work with our partner employers to provide opportunities in both tech and non-tech roles.