Meet Nun – a School of Computing industrial placement student at Vitual1

Nun joined the DevOps Team at Virtual1 as a Junior Developer to complete her Year In Industry.
Virtual1 are the UK’s leading digital service provider and operate the most advanced network in the UK.
Melanie Connor, People and Talent Manager at Virtual1, sat down with Nun to find out more about her experiences during her first 6 months at Virtual1.
Why did you decide to participate in an industrial placement?
I attend the University of Kent and they really encourage their students to participate in industrial placements years and they have a dedicated industrial placement office for people studying Computer Science. This made me more aware of this option and I thought it would be a good opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the workplace to better prepare me for my future. In my experiences so far, I have already found that programming in university is completely different to what I am doing in my current role.
Where do you see yourself in 3 years?
I am considering two different routes, either doing a Masters in Cyber-security once I finish my degree or going straight into work. I really like the culture at Virtual1 and would prefer to work for a start-up or SME where the culture is flat and not corporate.
What surprised you most about working at Virtual1?
Everyone is very friendly. When I started, I thought everyone would expect me to know everything but that hasn’t been the case. Everyone is very supportive and approachable which has helped me learn things quicker. I have also been given real projects to work on which contribute to the business’s goals. When speaking to some of my peers who are also on industrial placements, they are working solely on student projects. The office is also really fun, there are always activities going on.
What do you think will be the biggest adjustment when you go back to uni to complete your final year?
Working at Virtual1 has made me more responsible. When I go back to university, I will definitely be more organised and have better study patterns. My role as Junior Developer has also enhanced my research skills. I now know the importance of asking the right questions when working on a project and the importance of understanding the big picture.
What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?
I am a much better programmer. I have been able to work on projects where I get to experience the full life cycle: analysing, developing and testing. I also have a better understanding of the different technologies and tools within the organisation and the overall business structure.
What advice would you give to someone considering joining Virtual1 as an industrial placement year?
Don’t be scared to ask questions. There is no point in being scared, the people you are surrounded by will have more experience and will be able to teach you things. Also, always try and do things even if you don’t think you can and see where it takes you. Take a step to do it and you will learn a thing or two along the way.