IBM mentoring scheme for Kent students

IBM logo

For first-year students looking to do a placement as part of their degree or second year students considering life after University.

In 2017-18, IBM are going to be working with students at the University of Kent, mentoring first-year students looking to do a placement as part of their degree and second year students who will be applying for employment in their final year. There are a limited number of places available to students so there will be a simple selection process.

You can be studying for any degree subject and don’t need advanced computing skills.

The aim is to increase awareness of employability, the recruitment process, key competencies employers are looking for and advice/tips for securing a placement or graduate scheme. It also provides students with a fantastic chance to enhance their skillsets before they begin applying

The scheme is not about encouraging you to join IBM but will give you valuable skills to apply successfully to any organisation.

IBM want to make students aware of how competitive today’s job market is and give them guidance on how best to promote themselves. This will give them the best chance of applying not just to our schemes but other employers too.

It is virtual mentoring: most contact with students is either via email, telephone or Skype,

‘I have learnt a lot of useful things from the scheme. My mentor is an amazing person who is always ready to guide you help as much as possible. I feel lucky to be within this scheme. She has advised me across all issues which did concern me before the scheme. After consistent cooperation with her I gained valuable knowledge regarding how to improve my employability. Moreover, importantly I have secured a place for a summer insight program in PwC. I would have not been able to do that without her help.’

‘Talking to someone who has relatively recently been where we are now has been very helpful as they understand the decisions we have to make and how overwhelming it can be. Having the mentor focus on areas we specifically want to improve or learn about has been extremely helpful and has provided me with the next steps to take towards my desired career.’

Application is by CV and short answers to 2 questions, Further information and how to apply is available at: https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/IBM.htm

Deadline for entries is Monday 13 November 2017