Ambassador Bio- Aimee Kingston

Meet Aimee, one of our ambassadors!

What are you studying?

MMath Mathematics.

What Stage will you be in during 2019?

Stage 4.

Where are you from?

Medway, Kent.

How long have you been an ambassador and what made you want to become one?

I’ve been an ambassador since my first year at uni. I  decided to join the team as I liked the idea of having a part time job which was flexible around my studies, whilst also being able to gain some relevant skills for the future!

What’s your favourite part about being an ambassador?

The best thing about being an ambassador is the opportunities it gives you to push yourself outside your comfort zone.  When I first signed up, I was terrified of public speaking, and was adamant I didn’t want to get involved with that side of the job. But with some encouragement, I gave it a go and it was way easier than I first thought. Now, I regularly give talks at open/applicant days and often lead my own sessions at outreach events – something I never thought I was capable of!

What kind of work have you been involved in as an ambassador?

During my 3 years as an ambassador, I have worked at a huge variety of events, including open days and applicant days, delivering masterclasses for the Royal Institution, and GCSE and A Level tutoring at local schools. I have also been involved in the interviewing and recruitment of new ambassadors!

What’s your favourite thing about being at the University of Kent?

Probably the people! Everyone is so friendly and approachable which makes it such a nice place to study!

Do you have any advice/tips for prospective students?

My best advice for choosing a uni to go to is to avoid league tables. Uni’s can wildly vary in rankings from one site to another, and it’s hard to know who to believe! Instead use websites like unistats, or whatuni, which give feedback from actual students on various measures like student satisfaction and employability rates. And of course, always try and visit the uni where possible to get a feel for the place!