Ambassador Bio- Katie Harris

Meet Katie, one of our ambassadors!

What are you studying? 

I am studying Mathematics and Statistics with a Year in Industry.

What Stage will you be in during 2019? 

In September, I will be entering Stage 2.

Where are you from? 

I’m from a small town in Kent, which is just 20 minutes from the university, so I know Canterbury really well.

How long have you been an ambassador and what made you want to become one? 

I have been an ambassador for a year now, and one of the reasons I chose to become one is because I thought the role would look really good on my Year in Industry application. I also did some maths tutoring at secondary school, so I thought that being an ambassador would be a good follow on from that.

What’s your favourite part about being an ambassador? 

My favourite part of being an ambassador is meeting lots of like minded people and getting to learn interesting things from them. We do a lot of RI maths masterclasses at Kent that ambassadors help at or host alongside guest speakers, and the topics are always so intriguing that I come away feeling so inspired.

What kind of work have you been involved in as an ambassador? 

This year I have done a lot of campus tours for prospective students, assisted other ambassadors during masterclasses, and set up and guided younger students through SMSAS events such as “Maths, What’s the Point?”.

What’s your favourite thing about being at the University of Kent? 

My favourite thing about being here is the sense of community, and how friendly both the students and staff members are.

Do you have any advice/tips for prospective students?

My advice to prospective students is to always visit the universities you are considering, and try to focus on where you feel the happiest and the most comfortable because that’s where you will be your best.