Student Spotlight | Joey Chong – BSc Actuarial Science with a Year in Industry

Joey Chong graduated with First Class Honours in the BSc Actuarial Science with a Year in Industry in 2017.

Why did you choose to study at the University of Kent?

I had a good experience when I met representatives from the Kent in Malaysia. I knew that Kent was one of the best universities for Actuarial Science and I didn’t want to study in a big city, so Canterbury was perfect.

What is the best thing about studying in the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science?

One of the best things about the School is how supportive the lecturers are, they really helped me settle back into studying when I returned from my Year in Industry.

What has been your favourite topic/module on your course?

I can’t pick just one, but I enjoyed most of my final year modules more as they were more hands-on and practical.

What have you found most interesting on your course?

The practicality of my modules in third year. It was really interesting using industry related software like PROPHET and applying the theories we know into real life examples.

Have you found the School to be supportive? If so, how has the School supported you?

Yes, I found the School to be supportive. I struggled a little coming back from my placement year, but I am thankful to have had the support of both the lecturers and members of staff.

What do you think of the Sibson Building? What do you think the Building means for students within the School?

I think it is a great move forward and makes the School more visible. It also provides a central hub for SMSAS students. Students are now able to have revision sessions closer to their lecturers.

Can you sum up your course in three words?

Challenging and exciting.

Would you recommend studying at Kent?

Definitely! If I were to go back in time knowing what I know now, I would still pick Kent.

For more information about BSc Actuarial Science with a Year in Industry at Kent, click here or contact our friendly Admissions Team.