Student Spotlight | Alexandra Gavrila – BSc Actuarial Science

Alex shares her experiences studying BSc Actuarial Science at the University of Kent, Canterbury.

Why did you choose to study at the University of Kent?

I chose to study at the University of Kent because of the way the Actuarial Science degree was structured and the international links offered by the University. From Brussels to Paris, to even Athens, the University of Kent offers a wide range of course that can be studies abroad which allows any individual to get to know another culture as well as meet a diverse range of people.

What is the best thing about studying in the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science?

I find that the School always tries to bring students together through different activities such as games nights, pub crawls and quiz nights – there’s always something for everyone in the School!

As well as fun activities, the School is also very supportive when it comes to mental health or any other worries, such as the accommodation you are living in or your studies.

What has been your favourite topic/module on your course?

Financial Mathematics has been my favourite topic so far because it mostly deals with accumulation of past payments and discounting of future payments at fixed and variable rates of interest; which I find challenging but interesting at the same time.

What have you found most interesting on your course?

In Financial Mathematics we learnt about loan schedules, project appraisals and investments, which I’ve found to be the most interesting topic on my course so far.

Have you found the School to be supportive? If so, how has the School supported you?

The School has been very supportive especially when I was changing course from Mathematics with a Foundation Year to the BSc in Actuarial Science after completing my Foundation Year.

What do you think of the Sibson Building? What do you think the Building means for students within the School?

The Sibson Building is a great place for studying, socialising and completing assignments. All of the lecturers have their offices in Sibson, so if you need any help, their offices are very accessible.

I think most students prefer Sibson over any other place to study, because the lecturers are close by and there are areas on every floor for students to use.

Can you sum up your course in three words?

Exciting. Challenging. Rewarding.

Would you recommend studying at Kent?

I would absolutely recommend studying here! The University of Kent is a lovely place to study. It provides an excellent environment to build your academic abilities and your all-round development. Anyone who chooses to study here won’t regret it!

Click here for more information about BSc Actuarial Science or contact our friendly Admissions Team.