Actuarial Science student Ee Xin Ng reflects on her placement year as a Pricing Analyst

Ee Xin Ng

Ee Xin Ng, BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science with a Year in Industry student, spent her placement year at RSA Group Ltd as a Pricing Analyst. During her placement year, Ee Xin was able to develop a variety of new skills and valuable insights into the insurance sector.

Read on to find out more about the support she received in finding a placement, the new skills she gained, and her advice for students considering a placement year.

Why did you choose to study at Kent?

I chose to study at University of Kent as they are well known of their Actuarial Science degree with CT1 to CT8 exemptions accredited by IFOA (CS1-6 exemptions for 2019 intake and onwards).

Could you tell us about the support available when looking for a placement?

I have received excellent employability support starting from year 1, including CV and cover letter guidance, placement fair, Excel course and mock assessment centre. The placement officers were very helpful and friendly. With their support, I went to my interview prepared and received an offer form RSA Group Ltd, a general insurance company.

Where did you spend your placement year, and what was your role?

During my placement, I worked as a pricing analyst in the home pricing department. The main role of our team is to ensure that our pricing strategy aligns with our company view of risk. We also constantly monitor the performance to ensure targets are achieved. I was responsible for the monthly monitoring tasks and was also involved in various projects, some examples are pricing model refitting and tactical pricing adjustment.

What was the highlight of your placement?

Being part of the team, I have gained exposure to the insurance pricing world and also acquired new computing skills including Emblem, SAS and SQL Oracle. The placement gave me a great insight into the insurance sector which further strengthen my aspiration to become a qualified actuary.

What advice would you give to students considering taking a placement year?

I would say never be afraid to ask as there is no such thing as silly question. Also, be ready to challenge yourself and take on responsibility wherever possible as these are opportunity to enhance your skills and knowledge.