The University’s Partnership Development Office (PDO) have organised information sessions for students interested in gaining experience in their Graduate Secondary Teaching Scheme.
– Tuesday 5th December 10am Canterbury
– Wednesday 6th December 1pm Canterbury
The Graduate Secondary Teaching Scheme (GSTS) offers a stipend to successful Kent graduates who wish to combine part-time postgraduate study with part-time Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) training in one of our partner schools.
The GSTS offers significant benefits, including:
– A guaranteed income of £14,533 for the first two years (of a five year programme), plus an additional £250 annual travel allowance
– Remission of PhD fees for five years
– Payment of teacher-training fees
– A guaranteed school placement for five years, including QTS (Qualified Teacher Status), NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) and, if successful, the FQT (Fully Qualified Teacher) year.
– The ongoing support of Kent staff
This year, we are looking for applications for QTS trainees in Physics, Maths, Geography, Chemistry, Spanish or Computer Science.
In addition to the above scheme the PDO are also running the Partner Schools Teaching Experience Scheme (PSTES) . This is designed to offer Kent students in their penultimate and final year of study opportunities to undertake paid work in our schools as classroom assistants and tutors. We offer training and support for the roles. Students interested in the PSTES are also invited to attend the sessions listed above.
The key benefits of this scheme include:
– Paid work experience, at band A/B (using the University’s Ambassador banding system)
– Paid travel time and expenses
– Valuable, appropriate and realistic work experience in a supportive environment
– Support of Kent staff
– Employability points
– A range of high quality bespoke training sessions to support students and acquire the range of skills necessary to begin teaching
– Excellent experience for students’ CVs
– Potentially, the opportunity to apply for a paid graduate teacher position
Students interested in either scheme should email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a place and be given venue information