Exploring Kent: Aashvi’s Perspective

Step into the world of Aashvi Shah, a first-year student at Kent, as she recounts her journey from writing her UCAS application to immersing herself in campus life. Discover the unique experiences, academic pursuits, and supportive community that make Kent more than just a university, but an enriching adventure through her perspective.

“Hey! I’m Aashvi, a first-year student at Kent. Last year I was writing my personal statement for my UCAS application, and now here I am, actually at university doing things I enjoy! 

I grew up in Kenya, surrounded by wildlife, and decided to come to the UK for university. Coming to Kent was a great fit for me as the campus is like a mini ecosystem itself, with squirrels, bunnies, and even newts hopping about, as well as woods and ponds right on our doorstep. 

Living on campus has been a game-changer for me. No more waking up at 5AM – I get to set my own schedule. With lectures and seminars spread throughout the day, I have the flexibility to do fun things on campus and see my friends.

But it’s not just the freedom that makes university life so incredible; I’m here to get a degree. One of my favourite modules includes field trips, exploring different landscapes like beaches and forests. And at the end, we’re graded on a field journal, where I get to use colourful pens and be creative.

The lecturers here are experts in their fields and some of the most approachable, supportive people I’ve ever met. Whether you need help with coursework or just want to chat about life, they’re always there for you, cheering you on every step of the way.

Outside of academia, there are lots of part-time jobs and volunteering opportunities, as well as 250+ societies to choose from – there’s something for everyone here. Whether you’re looking to earn extra cash, gain valuable experience, or simply make a difference, Kent has got you covered. You can try out something you’ve never done before, like salsa or kayaking. 

As Treasurer of the Geography Society and Social Media Officer for the BioBlitz, I’ve had the chance to work on some truly inspiring projects and events. It has been a fantastic way to enhance my CV, and it’s allowed me to connect with like-minded individuals who share my passion for the environment. 

So, as you embark on your university journey, remember that Kent isn’t just a place; it’s an experience. Whether you’re drawn to the intersection of nature, society, and sustainability, or simply seeking a vibrant community to call home, Kent welcomes you with open arms. 

Best of luck with your decision-making, and remember, I’m always here if you have any questions or just want to chat about life at Kent. 

Cheers, 

Aashvi”