Let’s play our eco cards right!

Eco action games

First of all apologies that I didn’t submit a post last week! Things have been a little bit crazy for me recently.

Anyway, enough of my excuses let’s get going!

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to meet with Paula Owen who is the Co-Founder and Chief Fun Officer of eco action games. Doesn’t that sound like the coolest job ever?! Eco action games mission is to save the planet through fun and games and as they say not through doom and gloom.

Paula alongside with colleagues decide to reinvent traditional board games from their childhood and use them as tools for ‘weapons of mass behaviour change’.

So you’re probably thinking what sort of games are we talking about here?! Well Top Trumps (my favourite was the Simpsons) is now eco action trumps which come in the traditional size cards or life sizes cards! There is also a free eco action trumps app for Apple users which is great fun and gives you great tips of how to improve your day to day activities to becoming more sustainable. They have also created an eco action snakes and ladders (life sized version also available), eco action twist (which is just like the good old twister!), eco action bingo and play you eco cards right all in A4.

Each of the games have a selection of themes including every day, free and easy, water saving, energy saving, waste and recycling and office actions. I think that this is such a great way to teach staff and students alike on ways to become more sustainable and do it in a fun way which actually makes people want to take part and think about what they can easily do to be more sustainable and to be totally honest can also save money, it’s a win win!

Hopefully we will soon be purchasing a set of games which will be used during events that we attend such as arrivals weekend, go green day and we will also offer to each building on campus a few hours of fun for our staff!

Here at the University of Kent we want to be the front runners of a sustainable University and I think that this is a great way to get us moving in that direction!

That’s it from me (I think I may crack out my twister game tonight!) if you want to find out more visit their webpage, but for now please #recycle and if you’re not sure just sent me a tweet! I’d love to hear from you 🙂