Chew chew away into plastic?!

Gumdrop bin

So today I put up another one of my #Gumdrop chewing gum bins on campus. This time I decided to attach to a lamp post rather than to a bin after sadly they have been going missing :(.

Now I don’t expect everyone to notice these chewing gum bins as they are very small, but they are bright pink and look like a piece of blown up bubble gum before it pops! (Does it take you back to those days of trying to blow the biggest bubble as possible?!)

GUMDROP, along with its contents of waste gum, is recycled to make new GUMDROPs. The material produced from recycled gum is called Gumtec®. This material can be used in existing manufacturing processes such as injection and blow moulding to create a variety of plastic products such as coasters, boomerangs, wellies, lunch boxes, guitar picks and more! And as I have seen numerous times they don’t smell of chewing gum! (But you can still smell them if you don’t believe me).

I am still surprised with how great  our @UniKentstaff and @UKCStudent think recycling chewing gum is, I still get some comments about not wanting to use a product that has been made from used chewing gum but it goes through so many processes that its totally clean!

Currently we have one bin outside of the venue and one on a lamp post by the Marlowe building and opposite Blackwell’s Book Shop. We have always had installed our Gumdrop bins in high footfall areas and after eight weeks of research by yours truly picked the locations where they are most needed.

Medway also has recently installed their Gumdrop bins and I’m looking forward to being able to send a whole batch back for recycling. You see to save on transportation costs and Co2 emissions I need to fill up my bag of twelve and have these collected at the same time as having another twelve delivered, great idea huh!

Just like last year I will be purchasing some products made by Gumdrop and giving them out as freebies (yes everyone loves freebies) at arrivals weekend and events throughout the next academic year.

So your challenge from now on is to #recycle your chewing gum by using a Gumdrop bin on campus! I would love to see pictures of you using the bins via @UniKentRecycle

Happy #recycling 🙂