What a difference three weeks makes…

Well what a difference three weeks makes! I don’t know about everyone else but I am feeling slightly disheartened with how much the weather has changed, I’m back in a coat and scarf I think it’s that cold! #wheresummer (Probably doesn’t help that I have been in Italy for the last two weeks!)

What you might be finding is that you buy more hot drinks then normal during this time, now if you buy any hot drinks to takeaway on campus the cups are recyclable, as are the stirrers and all sugar sachets. It’s really easy to pop these into the recycling bin rather than the general waste say with your teabag.

Incredibly Starbucks is estimated to sell 4 billion cups of coffee per year, that’s just Starbucks alone! On campus we have a Café Nero, Costa machine in Essentials, and not forgetting all of the catering outlet such as Create, Dolce Vita, Mungo’s, J’s etc. where you can have takeaway hot drinks. All of these areas have recycling bins in then so please use them! And if you are not sure where these are just ask the staff for help.

If we are fortunate enough to get a heat wave and suddenly get some lovely weather where you just have to buy ice cream and ice lollies (I’m desperate for this to happen, I haven’t had my first Fab of the year yet! And for your information Fab’s are the BEST icelollies ever! #yum) even the thin plastic wrapper is recyclable and can go into any of our mixed recycling bins on campus.

We have been working really hard recently to show how much you really can recycle and so have come up with a recycling wheel that is a more fun and interactive way to see what items can be recycled on campus and where. These have all been created ready for the next academic year and will be put up in all student accommodation and sent around offices on campus. On the back we have a 50% off discount code for any of the sustainability e-learning accredited services for students in partnership with Cloud Sustainability.

I thought I would keep this post short and sweet so ‘that’s all folks’ (good old looney tunes quote there 🙂 hopefully students aren’t too young to know what this is!).

Hope you all have a lovely weekend and if you fancy it tweet us a picture of you #recycling your takeaway cups to @UniKentRecycle