Getting distracted by the sun….

First of all I have to apologise! I can’t believe that because of the glorious (and slightly unexpected) weather we had last week that I totally forgot to write a post! I’m so sorry please forgive me!! I’m sure that I wasn’t the only person that distracted by the sun last week….

But I am really begging for us all not to get distracted and leaving our litter all over our beautiful campus @UniKent, the #EnglishBluebells (which is today’s blog post picture, taken by myself I must add!) have shot up and we really wouldn’t want to ruin this by leaving crisp packets, sweets and drink bottles on them would we?!

We have a dedicated group of litter pickers on campus who work in all different types of weather to pick up litter, obviously not all litter is intentional it can blow out of bins during windy times but there is so much litter that people purposely drop! Now I have never seen anyone do this on campus (I would have to kindly speak to them if I did!) but it must be happening otherwise we wouldn’t have to have a team whose purpose it is to pick this up.

I think many times people do accidentally drop litter and they are never going to know if we don’t tell them! All you have to kindly do is say ‘excuse I think you’ve accidental dropped this’ and that’s that, I think people would actually be very embarrassed if they were caught!

We have over 90 public litter bins on campus of which over 70 have compartments for both mixed #recycling and general waste, its only really food waste that goes into the general waste as plastics, card, paper, cartons, tins and cans can all go into this mixed recycling section. It is really is so easy to recycle when you are on the go! Here you can find our maps which detail where all of our bins are.

I know from my own experiences of being a Kent student that sometimes between classes or when you’re manically revising in the library but need that little bit of fresh air and a quick bite to eat, that it’s so easy to put your recycling into the recycling bin, I mean come on their everywhere!!

And now were at the time of year where a great English tradition will happen more and more……. the good old fashioned #picnic, with gingham blankets (aren’t they cute?!) and that wicker basket, we are spending more and more of our precious time outside enjoying the sunshine, the lovely company of friends and a good drink or two and some nibbles! Even so we can be conscious of our waste and #recycle as much as we can!

So I’m signing off for a couple of weeks but will be back with a new post on the 3rd of June. To all @UKCStudent I wish you the best of luck in all of your exams and I’m sure you will ace them! @UniKentStaff enjoy the sunshine and our beautiful campus :).

Just remember to eat, sleep, recycle, repeat!