It’s one month in, lets recycle!!

I can’t believe that it has already been a month since I posted my first blog post, doesn’t time fly when you’re having fun!

Based on 2014 figures, within the UK each month households produce a staggering 2,233 tonnes of total waste (44.9% recycled). Here at the University of Kent during the academic year 2014-2015 we produced 2,197 tonnes of total waste, of which 62% of this was recycled. The size difference is pretty huge between the campus and the whole of the UK but its quiet crazy to think that our annual waste doesn’t quiet equal the waste per month in the UK.

Our recycling rate is much better than the UK total which I am really proud of! But our goal for this year is to reach a 65% recycling rate on campus, and can we achieve it? Of course we can!! It’s really not as hard as people think it is, students that live on campus have every opportunity to recycle as much of their waste as they would like!

Most of the waste produced in student accommodation can actually be recycled, its only really food, polystyrene and any sanitary products that need to go into the general waste bin! We then have glass recycling bins which are for, who guessed it?!…… glass bottles and jars!

Then all of your plastics, paper, cardboard, tins, cans, aerosol sprays, cling film, foil, food trays, egg boxes and much more goes into the mixed recycling bin!

Now you’re probably wondering about what to do with what’s left, electronics, batteries, ink cartridges, clothes, cd’s, dvd’s etc.?

Believe me it is really easy…..…honestly! All accommodation receptions and some study hubs have facilities to recycle batteries, mobile phones and ink cartridges, all you need to do is drop them off!!

For any electrical items such as laptops, printers, charges, hairdryers, toasters etc. that students bought on to campus but don’t want to take home, please talk to your accommodation reception who can arrange with us to recycle them for you!

All that is left is then any items such as clothes, shoes, books, bags, toys, homeware such as pots and pans, dvd’s, cd’s etc. that you might not want to take home with you. Well this is really my favourite part…. you can donate all of these to the British Heart Foundation!! We have 7 donation banks around campus that are generally located within the bin compounds. Last year alone was donated 7.93 tonnes to the British Heart Foundation, why don’t we try to beat that this year!!

For the ones of you who like something visual to see where all recycling options are on campus (just like me!) view our recycling maps.

Now, students if you follow the above you can really help us to achieve our target! And don’t worry staff, I haven’t forgot about you! We’ll chat more about it next week. 🙂

For more information please visit our website www.kent.ac.uk/recycling  and follow us on twitter @UniKentRecycle

I think that’s probably enough information for now, I don’t want to clog your brains up when you’re trying to enjoy the break and maybe even do some revision………..yeah I know who am I kidding!!

Have a lovely weekend!! (let’s hope the sun makes an appearance!)