Thriving at Kent: Jacy’s University Journey

Meet Jacy Da Silva Muniz De Sousa, a final year BSc Psychology student at Kent. In this blog post, Jacy shares her journey of transitioning to university life, discovering her passion for clinical psychology, and exploring the hidden gems of Canterbury.

“Hi guys!

I am Jacy, a final year BSc Psychology student. I know this must be a nerve-wracking time for you, don’t worry, I have been there and I can tell you, it will all work out. Before starting university, I had no idea how anything worked to be honest. I was so overwhelmed with the idea of deciding what uni to go to, paying rent, being in another city, and having no friends close by. But thankfully with fresher’s week in Kent, the different societies on campus, as well as all the support from the wellbeing team, my transition into university was easy. Now I can say I met amazing people from all over the UK and world to be fair, and most importantly my bestie.

I have always been interested in understanding more about the world and things around me. However, I was not sure which field of Psychology I wanted to go into. Luckily, this course allowed me to get a taste of all of them! Now, I know that I am in love with clinical psychology and have developed a passion for mental health, which has fuelled my aspirations to become a Clinical Psychologist working with children and adolescents.

Enough about me, let’s talk about Canterbury. During my time at Kent, I lived off campus because it was convenient to be close to both the uni and the city Centre. The city is small, especially if you compare it to London (lol), but do not underestimate the amount of things you can do here. I love the location of the uni because you get to be in different sceneries like the campus culture, countryside, or seaside (p.s. I recommend you visit Herne Bay beach, which is 20mins by car or a bus journey away).

Now, why did I choose Kent?…… I was drawn to the campus and all the support the uni offered, which was key during my transition to Kent. Kent ended up becoming my home away from home.

Before I forget, if you get the chance, you must try the curly fries and pizzas in Hut8 which is in Turing College and the milkshakes from Mungo’s in Eliot College. Trust me, you won’t regret it! Good luck with your future endeavours.

All the best,

Jacy”