Alumni Profile: Tanya Sengupta – What’s it like to study Psychology at Kent?

Female student sitting by the beach

Tanya Sengupta is a Psychology BSc graduate at the University of Kent. Here are her insights into what it’s like to study Psychology with us and other aspects of student life at UKC.

What made you choose to study Psychology at Kent?

From early on in highschool, I knew I wanted to come to the UK to study Psychology. Kent was at the top of my list for its rigorous, excelling academic reputation in Psychology. When I came to visit Kent. I was amazed and fascinated by the green lush campus and the buzzing city of Canterbury. I was given a department tour and met academic staff who were so open & welcoming. I sensed that this was the best encouraging environment to advance my studies. Also Kent offered so many research and employability opportunities for students. That solidified my decision.

What aspects of the course did you enjoy most?

I really enjoyed the interactive seminars, you always had the opportunity to explore a topic in depth and put it into context during these sessions. Seminars meant you could learn from your peers and vibe with their understanding of the module. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed and intimidated by the number of fellow students on your course so being with a smaller group sometimes helps ease that worry. I loved the RPS (research participation scheme) because you can participate in wack, creative, diverse studies. You also learn the intricacies of conducting experiments – having experienced them and gotten to know researchers. I took part in experiments ranging from testing pain tolerance to VR studies on coordination to experiments investigating gambling.

What was your favourite module and why?

My favourite module was one I took in my final year. You can choose your own set of modules then and I took one called Justice and Morality. It was an area of Psychology that was so interesting because Justice takes place in the social context and the psychological process is understanding of moral reasoning behind actions in everyday life. Our class discussions were always full of exciting debates and sessions of deciphering module material – despite the fact that it was through remote learning!

How would you describe your lecturers and professors?

I would describe them as extremely knowledgeable, super approachable and considerate. They love seeing students thrive and guided us through the course by answering any & all questions we had. They also shared bits of their personal life with us and you could see everyone go gaga over a lecturer’s baby or puppy or plant aesthetic inserted in the lecture slides.

What are facilities like on campus?

The facilities on campus give you everything you need and more. Perhaps why I stayed on campus in the uni accommodation for all three years! I got too cosy and comfortable haha. We have a stunning large library with tons of study spaces and a cafe for your coffee refills. The Psychology department has cutting edge research equipment and lab rooms. Lots of eateries are on campus with delicious food. I always crave Katsu Chicken from Dolche Vita which is located in the same building as Psych department. There’s a nightclub on campus, two grocery stores and bars, hangout & study spaces, you name it – Kent has it!

What is the level of support like in Uni? (career, wellbeing, etc.)

There is a high level of support at Kent. If you need wellbeing support we have a Student Support and Wellbeing centre that gives assistance on matters from mental health to counselling, learning difficulty support and accessibility guidance. Kent’s Career and Employability Centre offers CV checks, career advice and a bunch of employability opportunities to students. The School of Psychology has Student advisors who you can go to with any academic concerns. I remember panicking over a bad grade in first year and the advisor reassured me to the max that the mark wouldn’t affect my overall grade.

Did you stay in student accommodation? What was it like?

I did stay on-campus in student flats for all three years of my undergrad. In first year I was in part-catered ensuite accommodation in Keynes College. It’s a great start to uni experience if you don’t know how to cook because you are able to have breakfast and dinner in one of the food catering halls. Also, it becomes a ritual to go to meals with your flatmates or blockmates sometimes. Then in 2nd and 3rd year, I transitioned into self-catered flats in Keynes. I was in an all-girls flat! Which I was at first apprehensive about, but it turned out to be amazing. We bonded over cooking, movie and game nights in the kitchen. I was really fortunate to have been close to most of my flatmates in all three years,

What’s the social life like at Kent?

The way I would describe the social scene is: it’s vibrant and a hotpot of cultures. There are so many academic, sport, cultural and hobby-related societies that you can join. You can always test out your interest by going for taster sessions and talking to committee members. You’ll definitely find people you gel within your course, in your accommodation or a society. Something else I did was participate in events hosted by uni from volunteering opportunities to hackathons. I met a lot of motivating people at these events.

What are your future career goals?

My personal career goals are to explore a career in behavioural science. I am enrolled in a Masters course at Warwick now for behavioural economics. I had so many life-enriching experiences from Kent that it’s bittersweet to be leaving but I really am so grateful & excited for the next journey.

Any advice to those thinking of coming to Kent?

Kent is the place to learn and grow as an individual and there’s an abundance of opportunities to look forward to. Don’t hesitate to reach out to anyone, staff or student ambassadors to ask questions + hear about their academic adventures.

Learn more about our Psychology BSc (Hons) Undergraduate course at Kent.