Student Profile: Rebecca Dole

PhD Social Psychology student Rebecca Dole

Back in November, we quizzed Rebecca Dole, PhD in Social Psychology candidate, about her research and experience at the University of Kent.

What are you researching?

I am currently a PhD researcher based in the School of Psychology looking at different interventions to improve relations between disabled and non-disabled peers. It is very interesting and not much work has been done on it previously, so I am very excited! 

What are you particularly enjoying about your time here?

There are a lot of things to choose from but one that stands out the most is the community spirit that everyone across the university has (both staff and students). Everyone is always so willing to lend a helping hand, so you never feel as if you’re going through it alone.  

Another great thing is the location of the university. I have always enjoyed how everything is on one campus, making it much easier for student life. The local town is also really special and a great place to visit when you aren’t busy studying.  

How have you found the supervision process?

In both my undergraduate and postgraduate studies, I have had great supervisors. Both were really understanding and warm during the whole process. At certain points I have struggled with the work and my own self-belief, but both supervisors have always been able to pick me up to get us right back on track.  

Another fantastic thing is that both my supervisors to date are influential researchers in their own rights, so it is very interesting to be working with them. I feel like I am learning a lot outside of the project including what it takes to be an academic (which is my ideal job).  

What support do you receive as a research student?

In the School of Psychology every postgraduate research student is allocated an office space that you share with other research students. This really helps to focus as it gives you a designated workspace away from your home. This also provides you with the opportunity to meet other students in your cohort that you may have not had the chance to meet in another way. Although it is a place of work, we all tend to be sociable and there is always a person to ask if you have an enquiry or issues. I have made many friends from my office corridor, so I am grateful to the school for this space.  

More widely, at university level we receive lots of support from the Graduate and Researcher College. This is university wide and provides lots of extra training and support for postgraduate students. I myself have attended several workshops by the graduate school and have enjoyed every single one- plus we get tea and biscuits for attending win win I’d say! 

How does postgraduate study differ from undergraduate study?

Depending on the type of postgraduate study you do is the extend it differs from your undergraduate degree. In a taught masters you still have to attend lectures, classes and submit coursework. This is different in a masters by research or during a PhD. In these you focus on a conducting your own research with help from your supervisory team, so you have a lot more freedom. When thinking about what style of post-graduate study you want to do, I would say it is important to think about the job you want in the future as one may be more related than the other.  

What are the facilities like in your School and on campus generally?

I truly believe we are lucky to have the campus we have. The fact that everything is so conveniently close to each other makes a busy student life that little bit easier.  

Alongside providing an amazing view across Canterbury, the campus is packed with everything you could need. In the last few years, the campus shop has been updated to a well-stocked co-op where you could do your weekly shop, top up on the essentials or grab a meal-deal at lunch time. If you’re not feeling in the mood to cook there are plenty of restaurants across the university offering a wide range of affordable cuisine. We are also lucky to have a large, modern gym on the campus that provides discounted rates for students.  

In terms of learning I think the Templeman Library is hard to beat. When I started my undergraduate degree, the library was yet to go under any renovation, so I had a complete shock when I came back for my PhD to find how spacious and modern it is, no more walking around the library trying to find a space! If the library isn’t really your thing there are plenty of study hubs scattered across the campus, all of which have computer access for that those all-important deadlines. 

In the School of Psychology specifically we have a wide range of equipment and facilities. There are labs with plenty of research resources, the Kent Child Development Unit and much more. What I found to be extra special is how trusted you are throughout your degree with this equipment, especially in your final year when you complete a final year project. For my project I did an eye-tracking study which meant I was in a lab with all this expensive equipment running my own research. Although it was scary at first, I got all the help I could ever ask for from my supervisor and our ever-trustworthy tech team, and I ended up really enjoying the experience, an experience that kick started my love for research. 

How do you think your studies at Kent will affect your employment prospects? What skills do you think you have gained?

Gaining an education from such a notable university is something to be proud of and I know it will help me in the future. Another major positive of Kent is the staff, the lecturers in Psychology do not only teach but are some of the most influential researchers in their fields. These types of connections are experiences are invaluable.  

In terms of skills one major thing is my jobs as an associate lecturer and student ambassador. As an associate lecturer my role is to prepare and deliver seminars, mark coursework and support the lecturers however I can. I have really enjoyed this role as it gives me direct contact with a wide range of students, all vital experience for me (hopefully) obtaining a role as a lecturer in the future.  

As a student ambassador, I have both hosted events at the university and gone into the local community delivering talks and classes to local schools. When this opportunity arose, I jumped at the chance as I knew it would provide me with key life and communication skills needed to further my professional and personal development.  

What does a further degree give you that a first degree doesn’t?

I think that your first degree gives you the basis to go out and be successful in the working world. During this time, you gain key skills in communication (both written and verbal), time management, motivation and many more. Doing a further degree refines all these skills but also gives you the chance to be more of an individual. During an undergraduate degree many, if not all of your pieces of work are from pre-determined questions. With a further degree however, you have the freedom to explore what you want.  I also believe there are more opportunities for professional development within the university through fantastic courses offered by the individual schools and the graduate school as a whole.  

Any advice for those thinking about taking a research degree at Kent? Is there anything else you would like to share about your time at Kent?

My main piece of advice is to not compare yourself to anyone else. Imposter syndrome (the belief you do not belong) seems to arise so much more during a further degree but this is simply not the case. I nearly did not apply for my postgraduate program out of fear that I was not good enough, now I am so glad that I did. I have friends for life, my research is going well, and I am overall just enjoying my time.  

As mentioned, I am a university ambassador, which is open to any postgraduate student across the university. This role has allowed to me make vital connections in the community, further my own skills and provided me with a little bit of extra money. This role is so enjoyable that at times you forget it is even a job! I think what works best is that it is completely flexible, you ambassador representative will reach out with a list of opportunities and you can take (or not take) as many as you like. There are also differing types of jobs from hosting at the university, going out in the community or providing talks and materials online, so you never feel pushed outside of your comfort zone.  

Another role that I completed last year (and thoroughly enjoyed) was being a student representative. This position is the key bridge between staff and students as we are the people that give the students feedback to the academic and professional staff. It is exciting to see active change based on the feedback we provided so it is a role I would really recommend if you get the chance.  

There are also plenty of societies across the university that was open to postgraduate students. In fact, the university and Kent union have worked particularly hard to make sure postgraduate students feel included in these. I myself have attended and few of these societies as a means for exercise and have enjoyed every single one! 

Find out more about a PhD in Psychology at the University of Kent.